Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pay Cuts

The economic crunch driving high unemployment rates and pay cuts, in all industries, has created an "every wo/man for her/himself" environment, unfortunately. Cyclic, IMHO.

I was wondering if mandatory week, month and/or "rolling" unpaid furloughs have hit your industry yet? Seems it's getting more common south of the 49th, across several industry sectors. Just curious...

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SidewallPuncture

sweet...my point was finally recognised...you can never unify this industry, I know that, everyone knows that...so what's the point of HEPAC again? if you can't speak with the same voice on issues, associations are pointless....

Guest SidewallPuncture
AND, I'm not your friend either!! :down: :down:

my use of the word "friend" was sarcastic in nature...i figured you knew it all and that would be an easy one for you.

Guest SidewallPuncture
The economic crunch driving high unemployment rates and pay cuts, in all industries, has created an "every wo/man for her/himself" environment, unfortunately. Cyclic, IMHO.

I was wondering if mandatory week, month and/or "rolling" unpaid furloughs have hit your industry yet? Seems it's getting more common south of the 49th, across several industry sectors. Just curious...

are you saying that people are being asked to work for nothing?

Hmmm...haven't yet heard of anyone being expected to work and not get paid. That'd be a p*sser and not even sure it's legal.

The furloughs we're seeing announced almost daily come in many shapes, forms and terms. Some are voluntary, others are mandatory. For example, employees might be required to take 10 to 15 days off over the course of a couple of months, without pay, sometimes resulting in a 9% pay cut (just an example), to meet budget cuts. Some companies offer the choice of mandatory furlough or an equivalent pay reduction. In some cases, the furloughs save the same amount of money as shutting down ops for two weeks (just an example).

It started primarily with the federal, state, city, county, government workers and is beginning to spill over into the corporate and private sectors as an alternative to laying more folks off, filing bankruptcy, shutting down, et al.

Not an ideal situation for any worker, but I reckon it beats the pants off an outright layoff.

Pay cuts??? Bring it over here! i need hours, and not even asking to get pay... I'll take what ever is given to me and you can even cut it an half.

But as an high time pilot i can feel the frustration, and i don't thing pay cuts unless if its a good half would get you to keep the job. it will just delay the CIE bankruptcy a little farther.

Guest SidewallPuncture
Hmmm...haven't yet heard of anyone being expected to work and not get paid. That'd be a p*sser and not even sure it's legal.

The furloughs we're seeing announced almost daily come in many shapes, forms and terms. Some are voluntary, others are mandatory. For example, employees might be required to take 10 to 15 days off over the course of a couple of months, without pay, sometimes resulting in a 9% pay cut (just an example), to meet budget cuts. Some companies offer the choice of mandatory furlough or an equivalent pay reduction. In some cases, the furloughs save the same amount of money as shutting down ops for two weeks (just an example).

It started primarily with the federal, state, city, county, government workers and is beginning to spill over into the corporate and private sectors as an alternative to laying more folks off, filing bankruptcy, shutting down, et al.

Not an ideal situation for any worker, but I reckon it beats the pants off an outright layoff.

the big three automakers have been dabbling in some of that stuff, shutting down shifts and plants for periods of time.

Talking to some affected, it doesn't affect them much as they've bankrolled a huge cushion with their high salaries anyway, their only complaint is that the shutdowns should have come when the weather was more favourable and they could enjoy the mini vacation.

Guest SidewallPuncture
i need hours, and not even asking to get pay...

nice....what a great way to ensure salaries stay up (not!). You do more harm to the industry as a whole with that attitude.

my use of the word "friend" was sarcastic in nature...i figured you knew it all and that would be an easy one for you.

Sidewall......Dude ....don't ask to get the wall punctured by somebody holding the back of your head....

cause You know.....this guy willl.

If i was you , i would ask for a nice and clean "but" for liking purposes instead of asking for a fight!!!

Take care "little Dude" cause it will bite ya!