Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Fast Tracking Skilled Labour Foreign Hires.

I wonder if something like this would work; or, better yet, be one of the first order of business for an association:

Perhaps an association could lobby the ESDC to set up industry specific application data bases that would receive cc'd applications as clear evidence of a Canadian applicant applying for a job, be it fast food, hotel maid, helicopter pilot, or CEO of Suncor. Whatever. The applicant would address the resume/cover letter thusly:

To: resumes@besthelicoptersintheworld.com

CC: aviation@servicecanada.gc.ca

Or:

To: jobs@1/2hourlineupforcoffee.com

CC: fast.food@esdc.gc.ca

OR:

To: pilot_position@wingsun.TFWlovers

CC: transportation@integrity.esdc.gc.ca

In either case, the applicant has both proven to the government that he/she has applied for the job, AND the employer can clearly see that there is a record of that application, and it had better be considered (assuming that the applicant holds the qualifications for the position). In addition, the process would be completely voluntary on the part of the applicant, and would be available as an option only if that applicant wanted a record on file with the government.

I suppose there would be privacy considerations to take into factor, such as references not necessarily wanting their names and contact info contained in a data base without their consent. References could be withheld until requested by the employer though. I also suppose that the applicant had better be free of EI claims as well, or they had better at least match the employment gaps on the resume.

Sorry, no point in rambling about he complications of such a program. But at least it could be a means of providing the government with clear proof that you applied, and a heads up to the employer that there is such proof.

Thoughts....?

I wonder if something like this would work; or, better yet, be one of the first order of business for an association:

Perhaps an association could lobby the ESDC to set up industry specific application data bases that would receive cc'd applications as clear evidence of a Canadian applicant applying for a job, be it fast food, hotel maid, helicopter pilot, or CEO of Suncor. Whatever. The applicant would address the resume/cover letter thusly:

To: resumes@besthelicoptersintheworld.com

CC: aviation@servicecanada.gc.ca

Or:

To: jobs@1/2hourlineupforcoffee.com

CC: fast.food@esdc.gc.ca

OR:

To: pilot_position@wingsun.TFWlovers

CC: transportation@integrity.esdc.gc.ca

In either case, the applicant has both proven to the government that he/she has applied for the job, AND the employer can clearly see that there is a record of that application, and it had better be considered (assuming that the applicant holds the qualifications for the position). In addition, the process would be completely voluntary on the part of the applicant, and would be available as an option only if that applicant wanted a record on file with the government.

I suppose there would be privacy considerations to take into factor, such as references not necessarily wanting their names and contact info contained in a data base without their consent. References could be withheld until requested by the employer though. I also suppose that the applicant had better be free of EI claims as well, or they had better at least match the employment gaps on the resume.

Sorry, no point in rambling about he complications of such a program. But at least it could be a means of providing the government with clear proof that you applied, and a heads up to the employer that there is such proof.

Thoughts....?

Could you post this over on the CHPA site....???? Thanks :)

For those of you that didn't browse the 2013 LMO document, Bruce Campion-Smith has picked up the story regarding the RCAF hiring TFW to save money.

Try that with the USAF and see how far that would get! What's wrong with the Canadian Government???
Cheers,
tin lizzie

And further to that article, Gilles was invited to speak on the Bill Good show this am (not about foreign burger flippers as the title says!). As people may remember, Gilles was previously interviewed on the show to talk about to TFW helicopter pilots, along with a local helicopter pilot Bill Wadsworth, but by a substitute host.

Anyway, it's worth taking a few minutes to listen to what he has to say. There is a whole lot going on behind the scenes at the federal government to enable these applications by waiving legal requirements from multiple jurisdictions, and somebody has some serious explaining to do.

Cheers,
tin lizzie

• 2 weeks later...

Another great article about the TFW problem - thanks Lisa!

http://skiesmag.com/digital/2014/csv4i4/files/42.html

And this is my favorite part:

Another operator applied for permission to hire a total of seven foreign Bell 206 pilots for a three-year term. Those positions required crewmembers ·skilled with a computer and admin experience· wrote the operator, along with a commercial helicopter licence and Bell 206 endorsement. There was no time requirement mentioned; merely that the operator "cannot find a Canadian pilot with admin and computer experience".
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105225711/LMO%20Pilot%20applications%202013%20bookmarked%20WIP%2012May14.pdf

Click on the blue ribbon to access the bookmarks if you don't see them.

Cheers,

tin lizzie

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

http://www.cbaamatters.com/wp-content/uploads/Submission-to-the-Minister-of-Transport-by-the-Coalition-Opposing-FDT-proposal1.pdf

This is what the Helicopter Industry had to say to CARAC with regards to the proposed new Flight and Duty Time Regulations:

Currently, it is extremely difficult to find qualified pilots. So much so that we rely heavily on temporary foreign workers to be able to fill the roster. We currently have about half of our pilots from
Australia or New Zealand.....The fact is, we will not be able to locate the number of pilots
needed to fill the seats if these regs go ahead.

Maybe if CARAC spent more time fighting the ridiculous hour mins that companies are setting they would not have to import pilots. Back in the day companies wanted 500 then 1,000 then 2,000 now some are asking for 2,500 total time on a jet buggy even. All you have to do is read the forums on here about low timers trying to get into the industry and finding no one will hire them because they don't have the hours. Most quit and go back to do what ever they were doing before all while carrying a $50,000.00 plus debt. Rather then blaming the foreign pilots for coming to Canada and companies for training these guys with no work. The blame should be put on the back of HAC, CARAC and Canadian immigration. Were do these companies expect these hours to come from. The fact is this industry is at an all time low in my opinion. Junior mining companies can not raise money to do exploration. Oil and Gas is tanking. Fire's were non existent this year. Yet we are still importing pilots and handing out Visa's because there are no pilots available. I say BS

• Like 2

All this BS about flight duty times and foreign workers has nothing to do with CARAC - they have simply proposed bringing Canada in line with the REST OF THE PLANET regarding safe working hours and conditions. The whole mess can be laid directly at the feet of HAC and quite frankly, the current federal government. Heaven forbid that anyone would dare to speak against business or have business pay realistic rates for their aircraft requirements. I don't understand why all we hear is about how difficult and costly it would be to do crew changes in the north. I got news for you - the customer should be paying all crew change costs .... period. It costs more to do business in the north - if you are not prepared to pay more, go back south and work out of Toronto, Calgary, or Vancouver.

As for foreign workers, again, blame HAC and the current government. And helicopter crews!!!! Until you people find your balls and stand up for yourselves, and say something other than on Vertical Forums, you are doomed to be treated the way you are currently being treated. My apologies to all the women reading this re the balls comment.

• Like 2