Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Fast Tracking Skilled Labour Foreign Hires.

Guest driver81

Interesting. I can't wait until the rest of the LMO applications come out. I remember I saw an add out for a total of 9 pilots for one company in Ft Mac. The add was on the service canada website last December. All for pilot positions that start immediately. I had a friend that worked for that company and he said they didn't hire any new pilots that winter. Sad what some of these companies are doing.

• Like 1

People, the goal of all of this is to close the door on any new TFW. You all have to take action. ESDC gave you the tools to complain. They told you how to complain and where.

They need those complaints in order to have the ammunition necessary to turn down those applications instead of approving them.

We need to make ESDC understand that those companies will not go bankrupt if the TFW pilots applications are denied. They will just find other ways to go about their business, as they always have.

Re the article in Vertical Magazine:

Jones countered that operators face a stark reality. If customers insist on pilots with 1500, or 2000, or 3000 hours in the contract, operators don't have any option but to supply a pilot that meets those standards", he said. "If that need can't be satisfied by Canadian pilots, operators can either leave their machine on the ground or bring in foreign workers."

The way things are changing, what will Mr. Jones response be when the customer starts demanding 10,000 hours and 5000 on type? Is he going to have the operators scouring the world looking for pilots that meet those "requirements"? At some point is he going to say that they are unable to find "qualified" pilots for the rates the customer wants to pay? What minimum hour requirement is too many for HAC and it's members to say no to. Is "no" a word that an operator does not use? As pilots, we are trained and told, that we have to say no to flying in weather that is too bad or that we don't feel comfortable with, or slinging that load that is just a little too heavy. (This after the operations manager has just told a customer that the hook limit on a JetRanger is 1500#)

Yes, the operators can either leave the machine on the ground, or they can bring in foreign workers. I say leave the machine on the ground. Simple. And just see how many companies throw up their arms and quit doing exploration or patrols or protecting that town from burning to the ground. Helicopters are not toys. Companies do not hire them for fun. They are hired because there is no other viable or cost-effective option.

HAC claims to represent 80% of helicopters (or operators) operating in Canada. With those kind of numbers, why are they not able to tell the users of helicopters, "this is how it is going to be"? It is a lot easier to beat up on the unorganized crews.

I would love to see the accident statistics on Type and cost of Incidents/ Accidents under the following categories.

500 hours or less

1,000 hours or less

2,000 hours or less

over 2,000 hours

I know of a few incidents that cost operators a pile of money with pilots that had excess of 4,000 hours. Mean while the lower timers were chugging along doing the same job.

It amazes me how these expensive aviation consultants think if you fly 2,000 hours doing tours or flying a R44 to the same well sites daily you know become a guru in the industry. I have met guys that have 4,000 plus hours and have never worked a day in the bush. The last time they slung anything is when they where training to get their license. There are guys out there with less then a 1,000 hours all in the bush slinging and they can't get a job.

I could go on and on about why is it safe for my wife and kids to go out and fly with a low timer on a tour but the oil companies etc feel your not safe unless you have 2,000 hours. Were exactly do they think people get experience.

• Like 4

Guest driver81

Re the article in Vertical Magazine:

Jones countered that operators face a stark reality. If customers insist on pilots with 1500, or 2000, or 3000 hours in the contract, operators don't have any option but to supply a pilot that meets those standards", he said. "If that need can't be satisfied by Canadian pilots, operators can either leave their machine on the ground or bring in foreign workers."

The way things are changing, what will Mr. Jones response be when the customer starts demanding 10,000 hours and 5000 on type? Is he going to have the operators scouring the world looking for pilots that meet those "requirements"? At some point is he going to say that they are unable to find "qualified" pilots for the rates the customer wants to pay? What minimum hour requirement is too many for HAC and it's members to say no to. Is "no" a word that an operator does not use? As pilots, we are trained and told, that we have to say no to flying in weather that is too bad or that we don't feel comfortable with, or slinging that load that is just a little too heavy. (This after the operations manager has just told a customer that the hook limit on a JetRanger is 1500#)

Yes, the operators can either leave the machine on the ground, or they can bring in foreign workers. I say leave the machine on the ground. Simple. And just see how many companies throw up their arms and quit doing exploration or patrols or protecting that town from burning to the ground. Helicopters are not toys. Companies do not hire them for fun. They are hired because there is no other viable or cost-effective option.

HAC claims to represent 80% of helicopters (or operators) operating in Canada. With those kind of numbers, why are they not able to tell the users of helicopters, "this is how it is going to be"? It is a lot easier to beat up on the unorganized crews.

The way I got into this industry as a 100hr pilot was working for a company that no one wanted to work for. The type of work I did also had pilot hour requirements, but the company told the customers that I had the hours required even though they knew I didn't. So the companies are not going to fold if they can't get the TFW's. They are going to get 100hr pilots treat them like crap and lie to there customers. This is the way it worked before all the TFW's. You got your 1000 -1500hrs and went to a better company. sorry for the negative post but that was my 100hr experience.

The way I got into this industry as a 100hr pilot was working for a company that no one wanted to work for. The type of work I did also had pilot hour requirements, but the company told the customers that I had the hours required even though they knew I didn't. So the companies are not going to fold if they can't get the TFW's. They are going to get 100hr pilots treat them like crap and lie to there customers. This is the way it worked before all the TFW's. You got your 1000 -1500hrs and went to a better company. sorry for the negative post but that was my 100hr experience.

Don't apologize for telling it how it is mate...people need a reality check.