Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Mass Layoffs

GSH like most companies sees that the work is slowing down and has decided to be proactive and downsize. Not a nice thing for everyone getting the notice but hopefully it will be short term. I work for them and they are a fair company, good crews, excellent maintenance and training is probably the best in the industry. Plus management stands behind the pilots decisions and there is no pressure .

The lack of junior mining companies raising capital on the stock market , plus the lack of our government to settle land claim issues is killing the mining industry. The fact that some operators are giving away machines for 1980 prices doesn't help us either! I spent seven years international, machines got paid US dollars and rates were good. Crews where paid in US, no cut rate operators! We have to many operators for our limited market at present.

I foresee more companies laying off or closing the doors, wasn't a great year for most operators. Maybe a purge will be good for the industry. The industry also needs to only turn out enough young pilots to fill the retiring ones.

That's my rant!!!!

The economy moves in cycles, agreed that layoffs and purges are necessary evils. Agreed that outdated pricing and kneecapping are driving everyone down to a level where the bills are hard to pay, but good luck getting everybody to hold out for a reasonable rate. If there were any kind of industry agreement then the customers and regulators would start groaning about price fixing and collusion.

On the theme of low-time pilots, it's really immaterial how many are produced if industry minimums make it next to impossible for them to get out of the hangar and onto the flight line.

It was bound to happen sooner or later. I think this industry is headed towards another recession. Again were seeing the direct result of a surplus of helicopters latent of pre 2008 economy. The work just isn't there anymore and canada has more and more road access. Good work and employers are few and far between. Good luck to all the employees that were released..... You're trades "pilots and ame's" are a highly skilled, demanding and unforgiving one. Stay diverse and stay current.

• Like 1

It was bound to happen sooner or later. I think this industry is headed towards another recession. Again were seeing the direct result of a surplus of helicopters latent of pre 2008 economy. The work just isn't there anymore and canada has more and more road access. Good work and employers are few and far between. Good luck to all the employees that were released..... You're trades "pilots and ame's" are a highly skilled, demanding and unforgiving one. Stay diverse and stay current.

R. Well , with all the poeple in need to stay current in the upcoming fewyears to come , i suspect a few school will still do good! As for me, personaly, i dońt give a shyte anymore! Diversity always paid me good and till the good days are back again, im just enjoying my familly.

Is everyone still OK with all the Aussies and Kiwis on TFW Visas's? I know nobody in their right mind would work for most of these companies but maybe they will have to go away if this unnecessary practice stopped.Write your minister.

I think that ship has sailed. Heard that those who haven't gotten their permanent resident status are having a very hard time getting their visas renewed:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/temporary-foreign-worker-applications-drop-74-since-new-reforms-1.2768151

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/09/20/jason-kenney-foreign-workers_n_5851974.html

Keep in mind that just because a guy (or girl) has an accent, doesn't mean they're a TFW. Most LMO's are valid for two years, which is generally enough time for most TFWs to engage in the immigration process and get it done by the time their visa expires.

Anyways, back on topic !!!

Agreed^^^^ I am very diverse and still am in the rotary world 12 years and counting. Lucky enough to have found a stable and fair employer in this crazy industry "it would seem". HOWEVER..... I would urge everyone to "stay diverse" and seek education outside of the industry while staying active in it "as much as they can." I have a feeling we're gonna see some huge changes again this winter LOL!

• Like 1

Is everyone still OK with all the Aussies and Kiwis on TFW Visas's? I know nobody in their right mind would work for most of these companies but maybe they will have to go away if this unnecessary practice stopped.Write your minister.

. Boy that would be nice to swear as wanted here on this site , like it was beffore .. Then you would be able to understand the frustration i got about foreigners taking my job twice... By now i would probably be at 2500 h and mayby with a bit of 205 in it. With my natural drive and ambition, i would still be employed in todaýs market. I just got screwed and it is still hapening !

I am also one of the chosen few ( manitance layoff , contractor ) all i can say is i enjoyed working there , they always treated me fair , the aircraft ( i only know the med side ) were well maintained and the crews were great to work with , and managment was great to deal with always an open door policy , training was good and up to date , pay was average but for the most part you always had work , and in the end my T4 always was good at the end of the year . going to miss working for big blue , but as always 1 door closes and 2 open

• Like 1