Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Unmanned K-Max

They were working on this technology in 1998 when I got my endorsement. They had the Seasprite rigged with the gear and it flew everyday with the pilots drinking coffee and eating cookies. As for wind and turbulence the Kmax doesn't fly like a machine with a tail rotor. It points into the wind like a weather vain. Most precision work was done with feet on the floor because the machine was and is very stable if you do not cross control. Best Machine I have ever flown by Far.

Methinks I detect the sounds of ostriches with their heads buried in the sand. Wake up and smell the coffee, fellas. The 'sweep' of UAVs decimating our industry may not be tomorrow, but it's on the way, and it may just be the day after.

The technologies that dealt with the kind of issues raised for manned aircraft are rapidly being overtaken by better, faster ones, and they'll sweep aside the problems you correctly describe like a tide. And, while it will undoubtedly take a little longer to achieve the reliability necessary for human transport by UAV, it may well be closer beyond the horizon than we know.

Has no one else been sent somewhere when the information was wrong? I'd love to see these things think one their feet. Also first fatality while in operation should be a good forum piece. Not too worried about it in my career.

And Grasshopper you definitely don't have too worry about it! LOL!