Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

CH148 Cyclone missing on ops

3 hours ago, Blackmac said:

Heroes are people that go to war and get killed and or injured, a nurse or doctor risking their lives during pandemics, fire fighter going into a blazing inferno to rescue people, not people that risk (Pax) or other crew members that rely on the safety of flight to show off what great pilots they are. How many G;s were they putting on the a/c when they pulled up. Who ever on board the ship requested that maneuver needs there head read.

THE REAL HEROES IN THIS WHOLE INCIDENT ARE THE FAMILIES THAT HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE CONSEQUENCES OF THEIR ACTIONS.  

WHAT TO DO NOW 

MAY PEACE BE WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

Don McDougall

Wow...unbelievable.

• Like 1

It's very disheartening to hear about the attempted "high speed, low level" pass that caused this.

I would have thought that most professionals would be beyond the whole "hold my beer and watch this" attitude.  At this point it sounds like the whole incident sequence was being witnessed by several people and no doubt several photos/video recordings would have been taken.

If you look at pretty much any helicopters flight manual HV curve, you'll notice that the high speed/low level combination is not approved as any slight mistake or technical problem will be unrecoverable without sufficient altitude.  The aerodynamics of the accident helicopter are no different than any other helicopter but since it's a "military" helicopter they may have just removed the whole HV page from the manual.

I agree with above, who thought that this would be a good idea?

On 5/13/2020 at 9:11 AM, Heliian said:

It's very disheartening to hear about the attempted "high speed, low level" pass that caused this.

I would have thought that most professionals would be beyond the whole "hold my beer and watch this" attitude.  At this point it sounds like the whole incident sequence was being witnessed by several people and no doubt several photos/video recordings would have been taken.

If you look at pretty much any helicopters flight manual HV curve, you'll notice that the high speed/low level combination is not approved as any slight mistake or technical problem will be unrecoverable without sufficient altitude.  The aerodynamics of the accident helicopter are no different than any other helicopter but since it's a "military" helicopter they may have just removed the whole HV page from the manual.

I agree with above, who thought that this would be a good idea?

You have a couple of kids driving a $30 million dollar rocket and someone asks them if they could buzz the boat...what do you expect...would love to hear the cockpit voice recordings....probably was very short...OH SH$T! or the other one ..F$$K!!

On 5/15/2020 at 12:59 PM, 212wrench said:

I wonder if any high time civilian pilots have lost the aircraft?  Kobe.  

or this one.  

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/AAB0703.pdf

Show boating kills.

RIP condolences to all.

Kobe didn't have an experienced pilot unfortunately.  The pilot in your attached accident report was a ticking time bomb, 5 people paid with their lives.  

The job is to make it home safe everyday. 

The latest that I have read said that the helicopter was hovering next to the boat before it crashed...ok...first thing the military said was the helicopter went missing somewhere within 2 miles of the ship...then it was ...oh it was doing a flyby to take photo ops...then it was ...oh it was hovering close by the boat to take photos...lets get it straight ... bullshit from the beginning!

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see or hear from a test pilot doing the same maneuver with an added couple thousand feet and find out that they went into blade stall and the computer did not have enough time to recover from that altitude, remember left pedal and cyclic turns in a tight environment create power loss in both the Tail Rotor and Main Rotor as the crew found out sitting on the clouds found out watching me type this. RIP

DON, and you thought helicopters never stalled. 

3 hours ago, Heliian said: