Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ec130

Roo

Thanks for the clear answer. So there is no difference, one utility one recreational. So what is the definition of a heliski pilot? and what are these mysterious "special" skills if there is no object difference in a winter mountain landing/ toe in etc. Obvioulsy nothing except for the fact that its recreational. I had a snaking suspeicion that the special skills required have something to to with speed at which one can don knee pads.. It exactly what I thought in the first place... Thanks for clearing it up!!

Cheers

P5

A good heli-ski pilot is one who enjoys being around people, tries to accomodate them in a very different world then they are used to. One who is clean, keeps the aircraft clean, one who does not start controversies with the guests. Flying wise, one who does not scare the guests, makes the job of the guide easier by allowing them to view the run when able. One who can make the job as efficient as possible yet as safe as possible without being a cowboy. One who is not going to overload the machine yet is able to make the most of the allowable gross weight. One who does not have anything to prove as a pilot and can look around the machine and realize what the task at hand is, which is to provide safe pleasant transportation in a demanding weather environment. Was not as good as many of the folks doing this job but did do it for 5 years off and on and when working with a pleasant guide was some of the nicest flying have ever done. But it is work that requires descipline and planning for sure and sometimes more diplomacy than could muster. These folks in general are a special breed who deserve respect.

Hi All,

Looking for some feedback from anyone who has heliskied in a 130?

I have ran the numbers and it appears to be better than the 407 once you hit some altitude and when the temp climbs. I have never flown a fenestron ship and the fact that you sit on the left side may take some getting use to as a ski pilot (site picture).

An feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys,

Some good info.

For those who have heliski time know why I ask the question. There are factors at play that make a descent Heli-ski machine. The fact that you don't seem them very often heliskiing must have some reason behind it but I did not know why.....hence the question.

A good heli-ski pilot is one who enjoys being around people, tries to accomodate them in a very different world then they are used to. One who is clean, keeps the aircraft clean, one who does not start controversies with the guests. Flying wise, one who does not scare the guests, makes the job of the guide easier by allowing them to view the run when able. One who can make the job as efficient as possible yet as safe as possible without being a cowboy. One who is not going to overload the machine yet is able to make the most of the allowable gross weight. One who does not have anything to prove as a pilot and can look around the machine and realize what the task at hand is, which is to provide safe pleasant transportation in a demanding weather environment. Was not as good as many of the folks doing this job but did do it for 5 years off and on and when working with a pleasant guide was some of the nicest flying have ever done. But it is work that requires descipline and planning for sure and sometimes more diplomacy than could muster. These folks in general are a special breed who deserve respect.

Do all the same stuff when flying utility!!!

Nothing too special about staying safe and smiling!

P5

Do all the same stuff when flying utility!!!

Nothing too special about staying safe and smiling!

P5

Here,, here,,, seems to me this is how we should all approach flyng...Heliskiing is nothing special....winter flying,,either you like it and can do it ,,or not....pretty simple,,,but you dont need to be a special godly pilot to do it,,,,,

Here,, here,,, seems to me this is how we should all approach flyng...Heliskiing is nothing special....winter flying,,either you like it and can do it ,,or not....pretty simple,,,but you dont need to be a special godly pilot to do it,,,,,

Well Heli rider 212 apparently you do need "godly skills" as well. Apparently. :rolleyes: Roo would be a better person to answer this question. He is constantly looking for these defined " heliski pilots" . I wonder?? Bulllshit baffles brains I guess!

P5

Dont mean to thread drift here, but I was wondering if any of the experienced heliski pilots here could outline the difference in heliskiing and say dropping crews toe in at 7000-8000 feet in mid winter in loose powder ( with gear in the basket to unload)) and without a flag or reference and entering white out.

Can some please explain to the huge operational diferences apart from the fact that that the crew on board is going skiing and has skis?

Thanks

P5

Clearly, you have never done heli-skiing or you wouldn't be asking such questions.

But I am curious, what sort of work would you be doing dropping off crews toe-in at 7000' with no reference? That is, considering hover exit is a CAR 702 ONLY activity.

Well Heli rider 212 apparently you do need "godly skills" as well. Apparently. :rolleyes: Roo would be a better person to answer this question. He is constantly looking for these defined " heliski pilots" . I wonder?? Bulll #### baffles brains I guess!

P5

Wow, you are a piece of work pilot5. I don't ever remember saying that all pilots cannot fly Heli-skiing. I quote from our training on Heli-skiing: "Heli-skiing itself is simply mountain flying in winter conditions with other concerns". I do know that some guys don't like it. I would rather pick a guy who has heli-skied and knows he likes the work rather than a new guy who realizes mid way through the training that it is not for him. And trust me, it has happened. So, "godly skills" no. Sure makes my life easier if someone has done it before, likes it and is looking for work.

However, it is unfortunate that a guy like you uses this site as a forum for your verbal diarrhea.

How about open the mind and recognize that perhaps you don't know everything about everything!!

Wow, you are a piece of work pilot5. I don't ever remember saying that all pilots cannot fly Heli-skiing. I quote from our training on Heli-skiing: "Heli-skiing itself is simply mountain flying in winter conditions with other concerns". I do know that some guys don't like it. I would rather pick a guy who has heli-skied and knows he likes the work rather than a new guy who realizes mid way through the training that it is not for him. And trust me, it has happened. So, "godly skills" no. Sure makes my life easier if someone has done it before, likes it and is looking for work.

However, it is unfortunate that a guy like you uses this site as a forum for your verbal diarrhea.

How about open the mind and recognize that perhaps you don't know everything about everything!!

Yup, I totally agree, Roo.