Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Icefield Helicopter Tours

Guest sharky

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After reading through most of this thread, here is my advice to any new pilot looking to start in this industry...

You have to do this because you really, really love to fly. If you want to be a chopper pilot just because you think it will make you rich or really cool, don't bother. Go get an education or just drive trucks, you will make the same money anyway.

Bad attitudes are like an infectious disease in this business... I have been at companies that get one complainer, and it can ruin the morale of many of the employees. Make up your mind early on to be a person who looks for the good in things and tries to make the most of bad situations, because you WILL find problems with any company you work for.

As to bending over and taking it in the A$$ to get started...

It's a shame that honest hardworking people have to willingly allow themselves to be exploited just to get what they need to do a job they love.

I won't say nasty things about any 100 hour pilot who takes a crummy job to get his start, the bad person is the one who is taking advantage of him.

Have your career goal in mind before you start and do whatever you need to do to reach that goal. If a company takes advantage of you, then they deserve no loyalty whatsoever, once you have the experience you need then leave.

However, if an honest operator gives you a start, make sure they get their money's worth in hard work and happy customers. For example; if you get some valuable training, don't quit the next week because your new endorsement opens new opportunities for you. Show loyalty to an honest employer when they show trust in you, and you will never go wrong.

The most important thing to remember is SAFETY... One blade strike can suck the profit from an entire job, so make your number one priority in life, to safeguard your passengers and your equipment. That is the real reason most operators can't hire new pilots. Fly like a chicken and DON'T take chances. ;)

• 2 years later...

Hey ORION this thread is like 5 years old its almost like a soap opera. There so much slander and bad advice on this sight its unbelievable. my first post on this subject (which the thread is now deleted because of so much slander i take it) i thought i would say the positive. well instantly had like 10 people attacking me bunch of bullsh*t here. I think you must have a personal issues with the company bringing this old thread up.

autorotate said it well way back in 2003.

Quote(Autorotate) "All Involved

I just recently read all of the idiocracy in this forum and can''t believe believe it!!! I''m a low time pilot, and have been looking for a job for several years. Rather than taking all that is written here at face value, I decided to call Icefield Helicopter Tours and find out the goods myself.

When I called, I ended up talking to a guy who is now there for his third season and has managed to acquire 350 hours. Throughout the conversation I couldn''t help, but to get the impression that he is very happy there and has had nothing other than positive experiences.

Now on to my findings

1) When you start, you do volunteer.

2) Meals and accomodation are paid for.

3) You do pay for your own initail training and PPC, but NOT at charter rates.

4) If your work ethic warrants, you fly within the first year. If not you look for another job.

5) You are paid $25/flt. hr.

6) If you return the second year, you are still paid $25/hr and are guaranteed 2 hrs/day.

After looking for 3 years and finding nothing other than the proverbial "Thanks for stopping in, good luck and hang in there!!!", I''m jumping in my car tomorrow to go check this place out. Any lowtimer who isn''t willing roll the dice in this situation has rocks in his head. What else is out there? Not a F#%&ING thing!!! Maybe the odd guy can find something like mixing chemicals for a spray crew (I have two friends who took this rout) and MAYBEE you will get a chance to be the ONE of EIGHT on the crew to be chosen to fly the next year. GOOD LUCK SUCKER!!!

As for the Vaseline, or how ever the **** you spell it, don''t fool yourself. You started bending foreward for some soft slow lubricated penitration when you stroked your first cheque to your flight training school. Those guys paint the rosy picture for all who have 40 grand at their disposal. These guys are endorsed to print money.

Sharkey and Puddle Jumper are so wrapped up in at least making minumum wage for their efforts that they lost sight of the cash they already invested. Puddle Jumper has been "rewarded" for his hard work with a coupel of hours of flying, I''d call this VOLUNTEER work.

Now for the high time guys out there. I''m sure someone out there is a CP or Ops Manager. I''d like to know how many low timers you or your company has hired lately, and how much flying they get. Likely the answer is 0 and 0.

Good Luck All!!!"