Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Icefield Helicopter Tours

Guest sharky

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Low-timers, IMHO, continue to get shafted by employers willing to pay little or nothing and expect a whole lot in return.

I realize employers invest in their people with training and such, but it is a cost of donig business and I really believe that if you treat people fairly and give them some respect, then you'll keep good people and won't be wondering why so many people keep walking out the doors.

In the end, you spend more money and have a higher turn-over if you continue to implement unreasonable restrictions on your employees, cut benefits or otherwise make short-sighted, penny-pinching business decisions.

But the industry has always operated this way... it's like an abusive parent. The parent hits the kid and the kid ends up hitting their kid.

Someone has to break the chain.

My advise? Don't subscribe to that train of thought. If you are a low-timer looking for work, don't be so quick to jump on that first 'ground crew' job that pays almost nothing and builds you no hours. If you are an operator, start thinking 'long-term' instead of 'short-term' solutions to your staffing needs; hire a low timer, give him/her a slightly better wage than 'the other guys' and build them up. It'll pay off in spades in the long run.

If you are an operator, start thinking 'long-term' instead of 'short-term' solutions to your staffing needs;

Hiring low timers and paying them a small wage (how small is small is debateable) is essential to find out weather or not this new employee has the "right stuff" to be a petential long term employee. If he/she is willing to work hard and show some loyalty for that first season, then we turn the tables around and show loyalty to them in return with increased wages and hopefully the best working conditions we can offer. However, character is too important in this business to just throw a wad of cash at the first low timer you hire and "hope for the best". They have to prove themselves first and then, they become your company's most important investment/asset and should be treated as such.

I'm not condoning what Ralph is doing by the way, expecting low timers to pay their dues and raping them are two different things!

Unfortunatley Jetbox not every operator shares the same views you have. As we have seen operators like Icefield take advantage of the up and comers which in turn paints alot of other outfits with the same brush. Young pilots dont differentiate between operators looking for them to put the right foot forward and operators taking advantage. There is no doubt in my ming Iceefield is not trying to build a company minded outfit. They are just taking advantage of the situation and profiting from cheap labor.