Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Icefield Helicopter Tours

Guest sharky

Downwash, before you start making comments about what I am saying why don't you ask some of the people you work with and are employed by if I have any semblance of integrity.

I do not believe in patting myself on the the back, but I worked with Gary who I presume is your employer and the chief engineer before I even heard your name.

Kindly keep your double speak to yourself and if you wish to row in the same boat as that person from the fort, so be it.

Furthermore I do not recall making any comments on your posts.

In other words I beleive in minding my own business, which some people have difficulty in doing.

Giving advice from all on high must make some people feel real good, the only problem is they have a hard time relating to there own begining.

I can still remember being in diapers (cloth), I only wish this web site was not so full of know it all's for the sake of the kindergarten crowd/beginners.

If you don't like what I have to say, possibly the truth is getting to close to reality.

As for being bitter, not by a long shot, I'm retired, you are the ones being shat upon, so enjoy.

Love Don (hugs included)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"who actually has any integrity in the aviation industry."

i understand DW's response because i read this the same way. so are you saying that NO ONE has integrity in this industry????? :shock:

oh sorry....i guess except you!

HEY! how about them Laker Girls?? :up: :up:

I refuse to "generalize" about anything. I also associate the word "integrity" with the word "honesty". I also know that sometimes both words cost money in order to be like that because little is free in this world.

I've had the good fortune to work for many in this industry, both F/W and R/W, who I could describe using both those words. Unfortunately, I've had the misfortune to work for those who would smirk privately or publicly at what they consider are naive words like that in today's world. I've noticed something else about the former group.......they realize their real estate and a/c are not the most important part of their business or the ability to generate same. They realize that their employees are their best asset, best ambassadors, best PR Dept and try, to the best of their overall abilities to treat those employees with the wages, benfits and other "perks' to try and keep those "assets" onboard. They relaize also that the length of time employees are with a company says much about that employer, how he treats his employees and about the company as whole to the outside world.

Those companies do exist out there and always have. Unfortunately, like any other industry we have our "bottom feeders" and again, always will. They prey upon those in dire need for whatever reason, but I believe it to be grossly uinfair to "generalize" and say that ALL of them or the industry are without "integrity" or what I also term "honesty". If I can describe them as such, then that gives them the same right and I can also state uncategorically, that THAT would be grossly unfair to US and 100% false........as we also have our "bottom feeders".

I,ve actually worked for this guy. In his defence (and this is the only thing i will ever say about "the operator" that is not an attack on his character, flying abilities, people skills, cooking, personal hygiene etc, etc.) i did actually fly with real paying customers onboard.

I knew from the start that i would not be getting payed for ground crew time. I was flying for money within the first six weeks of arriving at the base. I flew every few days until i left part way through the summer.

Why did i leave? To a low timer flying regularly should sound pretty good. I was averaging 0.4 hrs a day. We all were. All 9 of us. Hours are hours at this point in our carrers but enough was enough. We were expected to work a 15 hour day, 14.6 hrs of it for nothing. The only time we would be allowed to stop working was when we were eating the dinner that we had cooked for "his highness". It was as if we were a bunch of stupid children being dictated to by a cranky drill sargent. Zero respect , verbal abuse infront of co-workers, regular belittling comments, an example of how not to lead by example.

The operator, and i'm sure alot of people know him and have good stories they could share if such a thing were allowed by the moderator, is not someone you want to work for. If you are a low timer and your thinking about Icefield for this year do yourself a favour and go anywhere else. There have been enough posts about how this work for next to nothing scheme is bad for the industry, which i agree with, but do yourself a favour and dont get suckered into it. I haven't flown since last summer because i would rather work my way into the business then take it from a guy like "the operator" while buying my way into it. Not to mention the fact that i can't afford not to have a paycheque coming in at least once in awhile.

What happened to the Astar I heard that was pranged during Icefield heli ski operations? 

HBD

HBD, I hear the owner dropped off his skiers in some marginal VFR wx and turned away from his reference and stuck the B2 tail in the snow and it went for a tumble down the hill. Nobody was hurt but the A/C died of natural causes for heli skiing. The Bell 2 lodge might have different colour helicopters dropping off skiers next winter.