Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

What companies do 2/2 rotation?

On 2/11/2024 at 6:12 AM, FiveCut said:

That is predictable geographical circumstance which can easily be managed and prepared for with more crew and resources on site.
There should be a clause in the vendor contract where in the remote chance these situations were to occur, a heavy stipend, guaranteed bonus’/raises should apply to all crew/employees involved as well as extended leave (days off) to mitigate any and all damages accrued to said personnel and then some. I agree “####  happens sometimes”, but a simple meteorological event that hinders and inconveniences everyone on site involved due to the aforementioned is nothing short of gross negligence of the highest order.  I would not work for ANY employer that sets crew up for failure and expect them to pick up the pieces uncompensated like that!  

That is an impossibility with the workers companies have to draw from outside of Canada that will work six months straight with no days off.  Nobody will do that until the institutions involved with these workers crack down on what the core issue is.  

• Sad 2

On 2/11/2024 at 9:02 AM, just looking said:

No idea who has the contracts these days. HNZ did at one point. Not sure if they still do.

Then why even speak on the matter, Antarctic scheds are much more frequent these days.  The three month tours you reference are from 10 plus years ago.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2024 at 7:00 AM, CM119 said:

Then why even speak on the matter, Antarctic scheds are much more frequent these days.  The three month tours you reference are from 10 plus years ago.  

Pretty Ironic.  “Then why even speak on the matter…”

6 pages ago…
OP: “anyone know of companies doing equal time schedules?”

This Ray of Sunshine: “I’ve never seen any set schedule at any operator in Canada.”

Cue list of 16 companies immediately listed. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, pistonhigh said:

Pretty Ironic.  “Then why even speak on the matter…”

6 pages ago…
OP: “anyone know of companies doing equal time schedules?”

This Ray of Sunshine: “I’ve never seen any set schedule at any operator in Canada.”

Cue list of 16 companies immediately listed. 🙄

Two different topics if you read the entire thread.  And the question was “Anybody want to chime in any companies that do 2/2 rotations?”  I have been promised schedules several times and every single one was deviated from for a plethora of reasons.  You are correct, I should clarify my statement, I have never seen any set schedule 100% honoured in Canada. Its not a complaint, its just a statement of fact in my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don’t think you can compare the US industry to Canadian.
The US has airports everywhere, tons more daily flights and by far less marginal weather conditions than we do in Canada, so it makes travel and crew changes much easier than let’s say having to crew out in northern Manitoba where it can take a couple days to get to on a good sunny day.

Sometimes I’ve left a machine with no crew for a few days because my cross shift is stuck somewhere and the company wanted to get me home on time, and others I’ve been more than happy to extend a couple days to cover the gap. It has to go both ways (like many guys in this forum do) and I’ve had no issues at all in the few years of field work.

5 hours ago, atari said:

The US has airports everywhere, tons more daily flights and by far less marginal weather conditions than we do in Canada, so it makes travel and crew changes much easier than let’s say having to crew out in northern Manitoba where it can take a couple days to get to on a good sunny day.

Sometimes I’ve left a machine with no crew for a few days because my cross shift is stuck somewhere and the company wanted to get me home on time, and others I’ve been more than happy to extend a couple days to cover the gap. It has to go both ways (like many guys in this forum do) and I’ve had no issues at all in the few years of field work.

This is again a situation that can be planned for and handled without much effort. I disagree with the marginal weather comment, USA has its share if not more and operators in all regions manage without leaning on staff.  I have worked at companies where there are machines and pilots available to fill in when situations like this arise (to facilitate  crew changes and the planned schedule), it comes down to lack of resources and personnel.  That’s very kind of you to extend your stay in the field, hopefully it didn’t happen habitually.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, atari said:

In your particular scenario here there wasn’t an option of taking more time in your shift to get to and from this job?  As you’ve clearly indicated that area can be problematic for weather, I’m just curious why that couldn’t be accounted and planned for within your scheduled shift? 

• Thanks 5