Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Boo-hoo, Wah, Sniff, Sniff...

This thread is starting to get hostile.

Yes there are a lot of lowtimers/apprentices who feel they are entitled to instant glory and fame the minute they walk off the school campus. The way to deal with these attitudes is with proper management, if someone is unwilling to do their job and their attitude is not condusive to a good work environment they get sent packing, no hand holding, no telling them they are special, just good old FIRED.

Some of you are having problems with certain employees and you say that you don't have the power to fire these people who are constantly screwing up, you should be looking to your management and asking them why they are tolerating useless employees that are making it hard for you to do your job.

On the flip side, the new generation of employees were brought up more aware of thier rights as a worker according to the Canada labour code and have every right to refuse certain conditions and circumstances that should not be placed on any employee in any industry. I'm talking about pay for hours worked, proper time between shifts, etc. Not about being babysat and having their hand held the whole way, so don't get me wrong.

Cheers.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is starting to get hostile.

" Yes there are a lot of lowtimers/apprentices who feel they are entitled to instant glory and fame the minute they walk off the school campus. The way to deal with these attitudes is with proper management, if someone is unwilling to do their job and their attitude is not condusive to a good work environment they get sent packing, no hand holding, no telling them they are special, just good old FIRED. "

Treat a person with RESPECT and expect the same in return and I mean ANYBODY. I had an open door policy when I was DOM of a couple of hundred guys. At a xmas party I had one guy from the sheet metal shop who cornered me and started complaining about things at work. I explained to him that we were at this party to have a good time, not a bitching session and I told him to come to the my office Monday morning. I used to make a habit of visiting all the shops a couple times during the week and ask how things were going, not the chief of section, but each individual on a private basis.

This method worked very well in a production environment, when your overhauling everything from Canso's to Helicopters. We had people working both sides of the fence, fixed/rotating.

The open door policy was there for everybody, things should be resolved at work, so everybody can go home and sleep better.

Oh ya, Monday morning I fired the guy for invading my right to enjoy myself. I would not have used that party to berate him in any way, with whatever he was doing at work. Believe it or not I had a hard time not firing him on the spot.

DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU.

Don

hey man ,

you must get out of this #### by shuting down your #### thrower...

other wise, your gona find yourself whith a foot on the head eating it...... trust me.

time for you to move on and have a **** of a reflexion... it's getting psycho...

mama's tities will give you comfort, have a sip and than a long nap....

again , nothing perso there, but right now, it's enough...

:huh:

Say what?

Interesting that so much time in the past has been spent on the topic of why employers treat new pilots and engineers like #### when it comes to proper pay, hours worked, working conditions and respect while at the same time some here are advocating ****** treatment from fellow employees.

The notion that an employee has any right whatsoever to verbally abuse and intimidate a fellow employee regardless of their work ethic is so outdated it is laughable.

Anyone who thinks you can motivate a workforce through verbal abuse and intimidation obviously has NEVER been in a position of managing staff and supervising personnel and should avoid said position at all costs.

I have screwed up...made mistakes and been chewed out, but it has always been in a respectful manner and I would then, now or in the future expect nothing less. I treat the guys I supervise, work with and work for with respect and will accept no less in return.

In a previous life I supervised 50 to 60 employees on any given shift and I have been screamed at, verbally abused, threatened, insulted and never not once did I resort to the same behaviour (well, there was this one time but that is a whole other story) and that is what I consider professionalism.....

Abusing someone just because they have no choice but to take it because they are new and don’t know much or don’t work the way you think they should is what I would consider the lowest of the low when it comes to workplace professionalism.

Even the original poster in this topic says he may have exaggerated a bit on his behaviour, he did NOT kick the door down as it was already open and he was speaking here out of frustration (all completely understandable).

Why on earth some of you would continue to defend behaviour that didn’t even take place and was even admitted to being a little over the top by the original poster is beyond me.

WW

Guest bag swinnger

[quote name='Blackmac' date='Jul 26 2008, 12:24 PM'

Oh ya, Monday morning I fired the guy for invading my right to enjoy myself. I would not have used that party to berate him in any way, with whatever he was doing at work. Believe it or not I had a hard time not firing him on the spot.

Don

Wow!... I sure hope there was more to firing this guy then that. I think its pretty common for people to want to talk or complain about their work environment after hours or at company gatherings. so much for your open door policy whether or not you figured it was appropriate. Sounds to me like you did this fellow a favor by encouraging him towards a better employer. I wonder if an association of some kind would of helped him.

Unless of course there is more to the story such as getting pissed, then telling your boss that he is a dickhead or something fun like that. :shock:

Shawn

[quote name='Blackmac' date='Jul 26 2008, 12:24 PM'

Don

Wow!... I sure hope there was more to firing this guy then that. I think its pretty common for people to want to talk or complain about their work environment after hours or at company gatherings. so much for your open door policy whether or not you figured it was appropriate. Sounds to me like you did this fellow a favor by encouraging him towards a better employer. I wonder if an association of some kind would of helped him.

Unless of course there is more to the story such as getting pissed, then telling your boss that he is a dickhead or something fun like that. :shock:

Shawn

Bagswinnger; With all due respect, I posted an event that happened in 1969, probably before you were born. But never the less, I had my reasons and you forgot to state that I said the following:

The open door policy was there for everybody, things should be resolved at work, so everybody can go home and sleep better.

Other than that I will only say that I find your remarks a little condescending.

Feel free to remark or not, when you know what you are talking about.

Thanks, Don

1 - The work ethics of many of our young people today leaves much to be desired. We often talk of this "sense of entitlement" that the newer generations have developped. It can be annoying. However, we can't confuse this with simple lazyness, lack of drive or simple irresponsibility, which has always existed in some people.

2 - Times have changed. Gone are the days when a boss or even senior employee could treat other people like sh*t. The human race evolves and so do workplace relations. I don't see a problem with that. I know of at least two Ops managers and one DOM who lost their jobs because they failed to adapt, and as a result the companies where they worked lost most of their personnel and were unable to attract drivers and wrenches, no matter how much they were offering.

3 - Respect begets respect. Treating someone like sh*t usually gives sh*tty results. Just because we were treated like crap earlier in our careers doesn't justify perpetuating that kind of behaviour. The challenge with working today with younger people is knowing how to effectively communicate with and motivate them. Bullying and other forms of verbal and physical abuse don't work anymore and generally give results opposite of what is desired.

Conversations on forums like this one between strangers lead to misinterpretation and often snowball the way this thread has. I fully agree with Sh*tshow and his colleagues who support him that the hangar rat wasn't/isn't cutting it with his poor work ethic. I hope someone sat him down and explained exactly what was expected of him in the future, or simply sent him home. However, imho anyone saying they miss the good ol' days of yelling and a$$-kicking are dinosaurs ripe to be put out to pasture.

My 2¢... :bye:

Guest bag swinnger
Bagswinnger; With all due respect, I posted an event that happened in 1969, probably before you were born. But never the less, I had my reasons and you forgot to state that I said the following:

Other than that I will only say that I find your remarks a little condescending.

Feel free to remark or not, when you know what you are talking about.

Thanks, Don

Hey Blackmac, not trying to stir up to much here.

I will say though that if I was the guy that got fired for something as trivial as that, then I probably would be better off down the road any way.

Surely there had to be more to it, let's just go ahead and presume that there was, for your honour. Maybe the guy even went by the name Magsqueel where it would have been justified.

I certainly was not trying to sound condescending and thought that I even sugar coated the association crack for you out of due respect and such. That comes from the fact that I indeed was born before 69. so I hope that qualifies me to remark in your regard on the topic that you brought forth for the world to see. I for one, thought that the humor of the legendary employee telling the boss what he thinks of him at the Company Christmas party after too many drinks, was a nice way to keep it light.

I hope we have this all cleared up now.

Hugs and kisses. Shawn

ok ok, you gotta admit that last line is funny