Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Boo-hoo, Wah, Sniff, Sniff...

haha, this thread has me nervous about the 50k that i just commited to my training starting november!

Since im not part of your industry yet, i will not comment on the details of it. but what i can say is that the work ethic of my generation sucks. Theres no way around it. For some reason, every one of my generation (huge incorect generalisation) lacks the basic drive to do a good job. No one shows up early for work. When i was young, i was taught to start 15min early, and leave when the job was done. 9-5 was the MINIMUM. its not about burning off the hours of the day, if you dont take pride in getting a job right, then leave. I must admit, that i hate my job, but i still do it well.

As far as paying your dues, coming from a soon to be low timer: work us to the bone. when i get on a west jet flight, i hope that the pilot is the best. The one who stuck it out, went beyond the call, and showed outstanding profesionalism. At my current job (oil rigs) i had to put out for 2 years, scrubbing and being practiacaly beaten for 12hr shifts 45 days on, in +37 to -53 temperatures before they even let me drive the LOADER! Even though i harbour some deep hatred for the men that treated me like this, i also APPRECIATE the work ethic that they left me with. And i can say that i have never seen an accident in my 4500+ hrs on these rigs, because of the lessons that were pounded in to me. When safety is at stake, civility be damned. We grew up not getting the hard lessons in school, so unfortunately its the work world that has to pound some sense into us. If you dont want to work like this, walmart is always hiring. Also, if you're from the city, and never been out in the bush, why would you lay down 50k for a bush pilot job? Try at least one tour as the jughound, before you commit to being away from home that much.

I do think that making minimum wage is criminal though. Maybe not for all jobs, but for this kind of industry it is. We may not deserve the high dollars, but an acknowledgement that we are at least slightly educated, and potentially of some value would be good. just enough to make rent, pay gas, and cover the intrest on our loans. We dont need to live like rock stars (****, its already a dream job), but if i have to take a second job i will be choked.

well, my training starts in november, so i guess in about 10 months i will see how much my attitude has changed. But after flying for 1 hr in an R22, i can say that i will put up with a LOT of BS just to do that again!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the biggest thing is work ethic and not many of the new guys have it.. perfect example is on my last tour I was at the main office and as a pool guy I did not have a key for the hanger, so I told the 100 hr beatch that I need in the hanger at 7a.m. sharp as i had to be airborne 45 min later and needed to DI, roll out and fuel up. 10 after 7 I'm still waiting for buddy to show up. luckily the crew house is beside the hanger and when I kicked his door off the hinges at 7:15 and yelled

"what the f@#k time did I tell you I need in the hanger"

and buddy starts saying 'oh I was up but thought you went back so I went back to bed" and Goldmember can attest that that guy never even stirred out of his room I have issues with that kind of bullsh@t for two main reasons:

#1 - when I was a 100 hr guy if a senior pilot said they needed in the hanger and I had to open up for them the hanger was open at least half an hour early, coffee was on, lights were on and fuel was drained... **** I"d still do it for a guy if I was on base and he was flying and I wasn't

#2 - if this guy can't man up and admit he f@#ked up on something small like this I don't want him flying any aircraft that I fly.

shut up, don't make excuses, admit when you f@#k up, take your sh@t like a man and I'll respect you more for it

Talking about work ethics...Kicking doors,calling people "100 hrs beatch",are this work ethics?We are supposed to be professionals not mobsters.I am sure that you could use other ways of letting the guy know that he f***d up.You failed at "work ethics" and professionalism much more than he did.And on your way to the drug store to pick up your meds you should visit a palm reader to make sure that the next guy whose door you plan on kicking is not the disgruntled reincarnation of Al Capone sleeping with a Glock 9 under his pillow or worse ,the son of a lawyer.All low timers should know their place and prouve that they belong in the industry but that does not give you the right to be a bully.And what is he supposed to learn from you?That the more hours a pilot gets the shorter his fuse becomes?Grow up and do not forget to renew that prescription!

Calling people "100hr beatch", kicking in thier door, and swearing like a sailor is not going to inspire respect or work ethic in anyone.

+1

I'd knock your teeth out if you tried that with me, 100hr pilot or not. but maybe thats just how mama raised me :down:

my last place of work you'd catch a bullet for kicking in a sleeping guy's door.

sounds like another skygod.

Seeings how I know sh*tshow, and of who he speaks, I can understand how it happened. He doesn't think he is God or better than anyone else, but when the one responsible (job description) won't get up, there is reason to get a bit upset.

Right or wrong, we all don't get a key to the hangar, so those that have been given the key (read: responsibility) has to suck it up and do what's asked (expected). If you don't want to do the job, or appreciate the opportunity you have been given, just step aside. There is a long line behind you that will.

Handled correctly? Probably not. But there is more than one side to this story...

Hundred hour wonder? Or hundred hour, I wonder...

Guest plumber

I have only been in this Industry for 4 years and tend to agree with sh*tshow for the simple fact that this is a competitive business. If you are asked or even told to be there at 7, be there at 7. Fifty grand does not buy you a seat anywhere. When the guy with the key to the hanger doesn't show up, Who has to hear about it?

The guy who is late to pick up his customer not the spoiled little pr1ck who couldn't get up. Also I have worked with so called higher hour pilots ( OK one )who treated me like their door mat and dreamed of one day knocking their teeth out. That will get you nowhere. You will meet jerks everywhere, but if you expect the world and don't sacrifice anything you should think about doing something else. Just my take.

haha, this thread has me nervous about the 50k that i just commited to my training starting november!

Since im not part of your industry yet, i will not comment on the details of it. but what i can say is that the work ethic of my generation sucks. Theres no way around it. For some reason, every one of my generation (huge incorect generalisation) lacks the basic drive to do a good job. No one shows up early for work. When i was young, i was taught to start 15min early, and leave when the job was done. 9-5 was the MINIMUM. its not about burning off the hours of the day, if you dont take pride in getting a job right, then leave. I must admit, that i hate my job, but i still do it well.

As far as paying your dues, coming from a soon to be low timer: work us to the bone. when i get on a west jet flight, i hope that the pilot is the best. The one who stuck it out, went beyond the call, and showed outstanding profesionalism. At my current job (oil rigs) i had to put out for 2 years, scrubbing and being practiacaly beaten for 12hr shifts 45 days on, in +37 to -53 temperatures before they even let me drive the LOADER! Even though i harbour some deep hatred for the men that treated me like this, i also APPRECIATE the work ethic that they left me with. And i can say that i have never seen an accident in my 4500+ hrs on these rigs, because of the lessons that were pounded in to me. When safety is at stake, civility be damned. We grew up not getting the hard lessons in school, so unfortunately its the work world that has to pound some sense into us. If you dont want to work like this, walmart is always hiring. Also, if you're from the city, and never been out in the bush, why would you lay down 50k for a bush pilot job? Try at least one tour as the jughound, before you commit to being away from home that much.

I do think that making minimum wage is criminal though. Maybe not for all jobs, but for this kind of industry it is. We may not deserve the high dollars, but an acknowledgement that we are at least slightly educated, and potentially of some value would be good. just enough to make rent, pay gas, and cover the intrest on our loans. We dont need to live like rock stars (****, its already a dream job), but if i have to take a second job i will be choked.

well, my training starts in november, so i guess in about 10 months i will see how much my attitude has changed. But after flying for 1 hr in an R22, i can say that i will put up with a LOT of BS just to do that again!

Good post Emory!! You are going to do just fine in this industry!!

Talking about work ethics...Kicking doors,calling people "100 hrs beatch",are this work ethics?We are supposed to be professionals not mobsters.I am sure that you could use other ways of letting the guy know that he f***d up.You failed at "work ethics" and professionalism much more than he did.And on your way to the drug store to pick up your meds you should visit a palm reader to make sure that the next guy whose door you plan on kicking is not the disgruntled reincarnation of Al Capone sleeping with a Glock 9 under his pillow or worse ,the son of a lawyer.All low timers should know their place and prouve that they belong in the industry but that does not give you the right to be a bully.And what is he supposed to learn from you?That the more hours a pilot gets the shorter his fuse becomes?Grow up and do not forget to renew that prescription!

what I hope he learned was that cotrary to what he was told in flight school about the great need for more pilots in the industry, which seems to make them think they have a golden ticket to do whatever they want, is that you need to be on time and be held accountable for the task that you were givin. if you want to cuddle with this guy and tell him its o.k. and sleep in together thats your soap..but I prefer maki9ng my company money and not pissing off my customers!!!

if his feelings were hurt in the learning process then go back and hang on to your mommas skirt for a while longer and don't make other people have to explain why they were late cause your lazy!!!

+1

I'd knock your teeth out if you tried that with me, 100hr pilot or not. but maybe thats just how mama raised me :down:

my last place of work you'd catch a bullet for kicking in a sleeping guy's door.

sounds like another skygod.

Did your mama raise you to be a lazy slacker then and teach you its ok not to do your job or only do it half assed?

don't get all pissy fella's!

I admit that I probably didn't handle it in the most professional way I could have BUT! when you are told to open the hanger at 7 open the hanger at 7. I dont go around waking up people who are supposed to be sleeping only the one who are supposed to be up and opening hanger doors.

I was late, it was his fault, I was pissed off!

so if you are defending that kind of work ethic what does that say?

don't tell me that I'm acting like gods gift here when your telling me that if you're late don't wake you up cause you'll knock my teeth in?what? what does that say about you?

and when I said senior pilot I wasn't referring to how many hours I have or how I do or do not introduce myself to anyone< what I was refering to is when someone that has been with the company longer thanyou but does not work off the base so doesn't have a key to the hanger needs in said hanger to go and make the company money to pay for the gas in the lawnmower that low time guy will be riding all day

and just so we're clear I still mow the lawn and mop floors when I'm not flying and am stuck at the hanger

THE WHOLE POINT WAS GET THE F@CK OUT OF BED WHEN YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO AND DO YOUR JOB

don't woe is the low time guy me, and look at how all the meanies treat them..

DO YOUR JOB AND DO IT RIGHT

WORK HARD

BE ON TIME

nobody is perfect me least of all, BUT when you do mess up don't make lame excuses, admit your fault, take the repercussions like a man and carry on

Good reading people (especially over a morning coffee)

Thanks for sharing, everybody, including sh*tshow. Good stories.

and, I hate to be 'that guy' but a hanger is something you put clothes on and a hangar is something you put aircraft in. Sorry, my mother is a teacher, I can't help it.

Adios, I have to be at work.

Murdoch

"hangar"

(yep....I'm makin' friends fast....)

And yes....it's in ALL industries...the kids right out of school have a ridiculous sense of entitlement. I blame Paris Hilton, and the MTV. These are the "victims" of bolstering kids' self esteem. They stopped keeping score in their soccer games, everyone got a smiley sticker on their homework etc.....everything they did was good. Now they are entering the "real" world and they are completely unprepared for it.

That's why every day I burst into my daughters' rooms and scream, "YOU ARE WORTHLESS AND WEAK! YOU WILL NEVER AMOUNT TO ANYTHING!".....The crying usually only last for about 45 mins.

They are 2-1/2 and 4-1/2