Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bell407 Vs 350b2

pilot5

never flown a 407, but have had them kick my *** in a B2. A SD2 sounds to be the answer. Much better performance than a B2 with a cheaper overhaul. I worked with a SD2 this summer , in the heat he was lifting 2 stillwells at alltitude easy, I did it in my B2 but it hurt.I am guessing a SD2 is closer to a 407. The 407's are expensive I hear. As far as the B3, none of said machines can touch it at alltitude. Full gross wait any where or any time, it's like cheating. I precisioned 2600lbs on the hook at 7500 feet, it blew me away, just can't get used to that power. However we just overhauled the engine, and it was a small fortune, actually borderline a large fortune but gotta love the B3!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 2b1 engine in the B3/B4 is getting more popular and your choices for o/h shops are expanding. As for the 1D1 engine, they are cleaner and more reliable now than the 250 series will ever be. This first o/h shouldn't be that expensive, I don't think it's $500,000 probably in the 200 to 300k range. Again, all depending on the care you put into it. Get a oil-inpregnated filter no matter what type of machine you're running, the difference is like night and day and as an added bonus, no power robbing bleed air is used.

B.M....I stand corrected...was told at bell in montreal that the 407 tailrotor came from the L4 high alt kit...was there looking at the L4's that went to do drug erradication down south a few years back...they where painted dark blue...heard when they came back to canada they had a few holes in them...was asked at the time if I would like to do some spraying on some weeds...as far as baggage compartment and range extenders...I will take the extra fuel over six inches of space being used up....some operators are using racks on the side to carry equipment...ask 407 driver ;)

A quick fact if anyone cares, 1st overhaul on a L-4 C30P engine(2000 hour, 2 wheels) cost us $108,000. includes turbine o/h, compressor insp. governor, fuel nozzle, new 1 and 2 wheels. Now good for 2000 more hours with a fuel control at 2500 for about $15,000.

This is a Standard Aero overhaul, not Walmart Aero Engines.

B.M.

Blackmike

Now that's what I am talking about! L4 eh. This could be the answer! performance and known reasonable ops costs! Wonder what the overhaul is on the 47?? Anybody know?

Thanks a bunch for the facts!

We had the 407 mid live or 2000 hr o/h insp done and it was the same as mentioned ...just over $100 grand....was done at standard aero...couple of wheels changed and compressor cleaned up and you are good for another 2000 hrs...the big pain is the 2500 hr inspection and the 60 month inspections...at 2500 the blade grips are scraped...also having a older model means at 5000 hrs the tailboom is junk and also at 5000 lots of rotational parts are scrap as well as the entire swashplate....so you better be getting some cash/hr to pay to run it....joy :P