Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bell407 Vs 350b2

pilot5

As for a 2 bladed systems at altitude, i think an astar landed at 29000' and has climbed to 44000'.

WTF you really confused me, you are talking a two blade system, then talk about an Astar????

:wacko: ????? What Astar had a 2 blade system ????? :blink:

Sort of like comparing a Piston Engine to a Turbine, NO???? :prop:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WTF wasn't saying an Astar had two blades. He was saying (in an ambiguous way) that some aircraft with multi-blade systems can do well at high altitude despite what Bubbles had said about how well two-bladed systems work at altitude.

A toe-in on the top of Everest may be a "publicity" stunt......but you have to admit it was a h*ll of a stunt which no other aircraft has done. It still says alot about the aircraft's great performance.

It was more than just a case of doing "whatever you want with horsepower".

Astars, L4s and 407s are all derivatives of old technology.....but they are still the leaders in the field......unless you want to go all the way back to Lamas!

It would be nice to see something new in the 5000 lb gross wt. category (and don't say 429!!!).

As always in the 407/Astar debate, there are different opinions for various reasons, which are all valid, but can't we discuss the differences without being unpleasant to each other?

There've been 8 pages with no bloodshed or violence threatened, hardly an insult thrown, just a couple of mistunderstandings causing irritation.

Good job people.

The 407 you have to put your collective elbow into the ribs of your passenger at the bottom of an auto after leveling the flare if you are taller than 5'8.

Would anyone agree?

Concerning the subject about the L-4 high altitude tailrotor being very heavy... A friend of mine just told me it's the elastomeric greaseless bearings that are causing it and that the newer style jetranger tailrotors of the same type are very heavy in cold weather as well.

This L-4 has fairly heavy pedals in the summer but it's definitely manageable and you can get used to it, but whoa baby... -40 C is another story. She gets hellishly stiff on the feet and vibrates some when the tailrotor is flapping. I'm not a big fan.

As don't know anything bout L4 I ask if it has similar t/r pitchchange as jet ranger. As a jetranger in cold temps if has too much grease in boot will cause extremely heavy loads. If you ask nicely of your AME to clean it out and just put in a small about of grease helps tremendously. Often wondered if Tannis kit which heats t/r gearbox helps this.