Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bell407 Vs 350b2

pilot5

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blackmike

Now that's what I am talking about! L4 eh. This could be the answer! performance and known reasonable ops costs! Wonder what the overhaul is on the 47?? Anybody know?

Thanks a bunch for the facts!

Overhaul on a 47 is about $7,563.13

hope this help

JD

gotta love this smart guy but its a B3

Another airhead helicopter pilot risking his passengers lives for a cheap thrill. It never ceases to amaze me how many supposed "professional" pilots are impressed by this kind of childishness. It will never stop untill it is universally panned by ALL of his peers!

You guys must have forgot that when you have a young blond girl beside you in the cockpit it removes all flight performance limitations in the Flight Manual :o as well, any questionable airmanship becomes acceptable. :lol:

Now THAT'S funny! :lol:

pilot5: Are you only comparing operating costs or are you also factoring in how much the helicopter can lift? Just curious because it seems like you changed your tune to the L4 when you were originally asking about the 407 and B2.

Now THAT'S funny! :lol:

pilot5: Are you only comparing operating costs or are you also factoring in how much the helicopter can lift? Just curious because it seems like you changed your tune to the L4 when you were originally asking about the 407 and B2.

We need a machine that can work in BC as well as in the flat lands, operating cost and return on investment is a big requirement, Lift too is important but there is not such a huge difference between the L4 and 407. Although lift is important it would take second place to ops costs. If lift was the key ingredient we would be looking at a 205A1 or 204 and a half.

What we want is a the best bang for the buck and a machine that can work on a wide array of missions.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

We need a machine that can work in BC as well as in the flat lands, operating cost and return on investment is a big requirement, Lift too is important but there is not such a huge difference between the L4 and 407. Although lift is important it would take second place to ops costs. If lift was the key ingredient we would be looking at a 205A1 or 204 and a half.

What we want is a the best bang for the buck and a machine that can work on a wide array of missions.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

I fly both a/c, not on the management side, so I cant attest to the costs, but I will add a few considerations. 1.) 407 is much easier to Longline out of and will be easier to transition for a longranger/jetranger pilot. 2.) Compressors on 407's have had issues! 3.) Many items on B2 are on condition so it is hard to know the true cost of components. 4.) 407 uses more fuel 5.) Althought ASRD likes the 407 they normally chose the Astar first if both are available. 6.) Both have there limits at altitude and temps. 7.) The 407 is definitely more complex than the Astar as far as systems, yet I find it smoother, easier to hover, land and to have a higher power margin for most of the jobs I have been faced with. 8.) Many pilots prefer the Astar for comfort as well as for passenger visibility. 9.) 407's have 50 hour inspection cycles as well!

Just some thoughts from my two cents, hope it helps.

Koala