Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Long Lining Snow?

DGP

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the fact that youth involved in sports are far less likley to get involved into drugs and crime, the obicity problem of kids alone is enough reason to teach and preach sports.....through role models. Dedication and a hard work ethic are just some of the qualities that come from sports.

Too bad that drugs come with competition, and that professional sportmen die younger than average... Sports are good for the body and the mind as long as you practice them yourself for the fun. I don't miss the Vancouver Worldwide Pharmacy Fair TV show, for that matter.

But that's only another narrow-minded point of view from Québec! :P

You my friend, are a perfect example of what thappens to a person with no role models.

Many athletes make more in a year then you do in ten. Most of the athletes are students in University as well as Olympic athletes. Besides the fact that youth involved in sports are far less likley to get involved into drugs and crime, the obicity problem of kids alone is enough reason to teach and preach sports.....through role models. Dedication and a hard work ethic are just some of the qualities that come from sports.

You are a very very tunnel visioned human being, from Quebec you said??

Huh? Pro athletes are the only acceptable role models? If you think that learning hard work and dedication only come from sports, then who's the small minded one here? How about having parents that teach to not be lazy sack of carp? That works too I hear...(edit: yes I said "carp"...who would want to be a sack of carp?? I never make typos)

I've never been a big fan of team sports. I'm not terribly good at them, nor do I enjoy watching them. (What is this super bowl I've heard about?) I've always been much better at stuff like skiing, mountain biking, skateboarding, snowboarding....the ...i dunno what you want to call them..."thrill" sports? tossing a ball back and forth just doesn't do it for me. And don't EVEN get me started on golf! But I am/was...let's say "a better than average skier". I taught little kids and adults to ski for years at a few different ski schools. I didn't devote my entire life to it. But I was pretty good. I still managed to go to school and eventually end up with a real job.

And as for athletes doing charity work. Ok great! that's awesome. I would hope they would!! Now how about Bono from U2...if we're going to go down that road. He's an insufferable windbag...but he has done tons of great charitable work for years and years. Does that make him great role model? I cautiously say...yes? I guess? Is Bode Miller a good role model?

I'm sure there are just as many bad role models in the Olympics as there are good ones.

And when it comes down to it, I would not want my kids thinking tht they expect some sort of celebrity status because they happen to be exceptionally good AT THEIR HOBBY. (I've said it again). Being good at luge is not a profession. Being a doctor, engineer, pilot is a profession.

And as I type this, I wonder if an Olympic athlete CAN be a good role model. Is it wise to teach kids to be SO single minded and focused on a SINGLE aspect of life? Their entire youth gets devoted to working towards a 23 second mogul run. Then what? When the dust settles and it's all over, tht must be a somewhat empty feeling. Maybe that why Apollo ono is back? He wins dancing with the stars to keep himself in the spotlight? And that fades too? Back to training? And don't get me wrong...I know and acknowledge that he trains hard and is a nice guy...but his existence seems a little ....futile? And yeah I'm just jealous that he has way more money than me......

Guest plumber
Huh? Pro athletes are the only acceptable role models? If you think that learning hard work and dedication only come from sports, then who's the small minded one here? How about having parents that teach to not be lazy sack of carp? That works too I hear...(edit: yes I said "carp"...who would want to be a sack of carp?? I never make typos)

I've never been a big fan of team sports. I'm not terribly good at them, nor do I enjoy watching them. (What is this super bowl I've heard about?) I've always been much better at stuff like skiing, mountain biking, skateboarding, snowboarding....the ...i dunno what you want to call them..."thrill" sports? tossing a ball back and forth just doesn't do it for me. And don't EVEN get me started on golf! But I am/was...let's say "a better than average skier". I taught little kids and adults to ski for years at a few different ski schools. I didn't devote my entire life to it. But I was pretty good. I still managed to go to school and eventually end up with a real job.

And as for athletes doing charity work. Ok great! that's awesome. I would hope they would!! Now how about Bono from U2...if we're going to go down that road. He's an insufferable windbag...but he has done tons of great charitable work for years and years. Does that make him great role model? I cautiously say...yes? I guess? Is Bode Miller a good role model?

I'm sure there are just as many bad role models in the Olympics as there are good ones.

And when it comes down to it, I would not want my kids thinking tht they expect some sort of celebrity status because they happen to be exceptionally good AT THEIR HOBBY. (I've said it again). Being good at luge is not a profession. Being a doctor, engineer, pilot is a profession.

And as I type this, I wonder if an Olympic athlete CAN be a good role model. Is it wise to teach kids to be SO single minded and focused on a SINGLE aspect of life? Their entire youth gets devoted to working towards a 23 second mogul run. Then what? When the dust settles and it's all over, tht must be a somewhat empty feeling. Maybe that why Apollo ono is back? He wins dancing with the stars to keep himself in the spotlight? And that fades too? Back to training? And don't get me wrong...I know and acknowledge that he trains hard and is a nice guy...but his existence seems a little ....futile? And yeah I'm just jealous that he has way more money than me......

And hit me baby one more time.

"QUOTE

I've never been a big fan of team sports. I'm not terribly good at them, nor do I enjoy watching them. (What is this super bowl I've heard about?) I've always been much better at stuff like skiing, mountain biking, skateboarding, snowboarding....the ...i dunno what you want to call them..."thrill" sports? tossing a ball back and forth just doesn't do it for me. And don't EVEN get me started on golf! But I am/was...let's say "a better than average skier". I taught little kids and adults to ski for years at a few different ski schools. I didn't devote my entire life to it. But I was pretty good. I still managed to go to school and eventually end up with a real job. "QUOTE

Well MMike, I could not agree with you more, I have never watched a super bowl, and have skied since the age of 2. Team sport athletes are extreamly over payed.

I have had a few friends in the olympics, last and 2010, in skiing. These are my friends and I have a lot of respect for what they have acomplished, My kids look up to them and even have their autographs.

...and let me note, my wife is 100% Quebec'er. We live in BC and her family hates it, the entire concept of learning English being allegal, the views of the rest of the world from her family are outragous, makes christmass dinner lots of fun :P ...However, I love Quebec, the family values in my wife that we never see out west, and all the skiers, skaters, car racers, and even the best team in the NHL,(If I watched hockey) will always be the habs! :up:

Guest plumber
"QUOTE

I've never been a big fan of team sports. I'm not terribly good at them, nor do I enjoy watching them. (What is this super bowl I've heard about?) I've always been much better at stuff like skiing, mountain biking, skateboarding, snowboarding....the ...i dunno what you want to call them..."thrill" sports? tossing a ball back and forth just doesn't do it for me. And don't EVEN get me started on golf! But I am/was...let's say "a better than average skier". I taught little kids and adults to ski for years at a few different ski schools. I didn't devote my entire life to it. But I was pretty good. I still managed to go to school and eventually end up with a real job. "QUOTE

Well MMike, I could not agree with you more, I have never watched a super bowl, and have skied since the age of 2. Team sport athletes are extreamly over payed.

I have had a few friends in the olympics, last and 2010, in skiing. These are my friends and I have a lot of respect for what they have acomplished, My kids look up to them and even have their autographs.

...and let me note, my wife is 100% Quebec'er. We live in BC and her family hates it, the entire concept of learning English being allegal, the views of the rest of the world from her family are outragous, makes christmass dinner lots of fun :P ...However, I love Quebec, the family values in my wife that we never see out west, and all the skiers, skaters, car racers, and even the best team in the NHL,(If I watched hockey) will always be the habs! :up:

Your story falls apart at you having friends :lol: