Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Long Lining Snow?

DGP

And BTW...weren't the opening ceremonies just AWFUL???

kd lang? for like 22 minutes wailing away? We need better celebrities in this country. Ashley MacIsaac was the only good part. **** he's good.

And a malfunctioning torch? Really? No-one thought to double check that before the show?

whew....ok...I think I'm done now.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I read this thread I am constantly reminded that other cultures think we Canadians are polite and pleasant people yet most of the posts here are impolite and unpleasant. To see people in an international industry such as aviation calling down the cultures of different provinces is beyond my cognition. To say that sports are a hobby and thus should not be funded but we need "better celebrities" is embarressing to read. I remember a thread a few years ago about how we are professionals,,,,hm.

I asked my brother awhile ago why he did not get his sons into aviation as I could help them along as they were (are) really good fellas, he said he didn't like the helicopter industry's attitude,,,,reading this thread I would tend to agree with him.

Time to cowboy up and be pros, the name calling and callousness of this thread is clearly UNCanadian.

my cognition. To say that sports are a hobby and thus should not be funded

and it what ways to a bunch prima-donnas contribute to society? are they furthering science? Healthcare? Homelessness? Education?

the only thing embarrassing about this entire spectacle is that Canada puts entertainment before initiatives that improve the quality of life for it's citizens.

it's a very embarrassing time to be a Canadian.

and it what ways to a bunch prima-donnas contribute to society? are they furthering science? Healthcare? Homelessness? Education?

the only thing embarrassing about this entire spectacle is that Canada puts entertainment before initiatives that improve the quality of life for it's citizens.

it's a very embarrassing time to be a Canadian.

Yes the Olympics are stirring up controversy as they always have and always will.

However there is one phrase you will never hear come out of my mouth, that is I'm embarrassed to be Canadian.

I for one couldn't be more proud!!

DC

Yes the Olympics are stirring up controversy as they always have and always will.

However there is one phrase you will never hear come out of my mouth, that is I'm embarrassed to be Canadian.

I for one couldn't be more proud!!

DC

Could not agree with you more. I guess it was the pride I fealt and saw watching the opening ceremonies and respect given for the young man who lost his life yesterday that became a catylist for my thoughts on this thread. Probably how longlining snow was a catylist for some folk's opinions on the spendatures for the Olympics rather than rant about it for the last four years.

How in GOD's name could the opening ceremonies have instilled pride in anyone.

(and let me clarify. I'm from montreal. I spent 6 years in Seattle. I moved home again....with an american wife in tow....so I AM a proud canadian...most of the time)

The whole olympic thing is stacking up to be epic fail. The lack of snow, the guy dying before it began, the completely INEXCUSABLE failure of the torch mechanism, then sending gretsky off in a truck (WITH A BURNED OUT HEADLIGHT by the way) in the pissing rain for a 10 minute drive.

But kd lang???? a 20 minute version of a slow pukey song. There are plenty of good canadian performers. The Hip maybe??

I'm amazed they didn't wheel out Gordon Lightfoot to do the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

(and by the way....the word you were grappling for was "EXPENDITURES")

Oh and you guys would have loved to have seen me have this conversation with some other people........like say....my brother's fiancee's sister......who was/is on the Canadian Olympic womens' soccer team....she played in Beijing and everything.

(Ok maybe I didn't really...as she could likely knock me three ways from next thursday.....I don't know what that means, but it can't be good. But that would be something wouldn't it?.