Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Long Lining Snow?

DGP

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't that keen on the whole Olympic thing at first but now I think they are doing a good job. (besides the hydraulic failure at opening ceremony- I guess they don't practice them like we do)

My view is since we have paid for it with our taxes (we didn't have much choice anyhow) we may as well enjoy it.

It would be the same as if you had to buy a whole bunch of beer at the bar (for whatever reason), you could complain about it an go home or sit there and drink it all.

B.M.

Minor hyd problems aside, it was a pretty impressive opening to the games. Is it money well spent? Who knows.

We got lots of new buildings, new highways, jobs etc. Sure, some debt, but the politicians were going too spend it on election promises, "fact finding" holidays and vacations, summits, and what not anyway.

At least we will have the games - no one can take that away now, or ever.

Even a couple of companies made some much needed revenue while that rest of wished it could be us!

Hauling snow, or making snowmen on a fire that's going nowhere.

We've all been there... :boff:

How in GOD's name could the opening ceremonies have instilled pride in anyone.

(and let me clarify. I'm from montreal. I spent 6 years in Seattle. I moved home again....with an american wife in tow....so I AM a proud canadian...most of the time)

The whole olympic thing is stacking up to be epic fail. The lack of snow, the guy dying before it began, the completely INEXCUSABLE failure of the torch mechanism, then sending gretsky off in a truck (WITH A BURNED OUT HEADLIGHT by the way) in the pissing rain for a 10 minute drive.

But kd lang???? a 20 minute version of a slow pukey song. There are plenty of good canadian performers. The Hip maybe??

I'm amazed they didn't wheel out Gordon Lightfoot to do the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

(and by the way....the word you were grappling for was "EXPENDITURES")

I guess we watched different Opening Ceremonies.....I thought it was an excellent light and magic show but with few participants compared to the 5,000 volunteer performers we had in Calgary 22 years ago. The graphics did a great job of highlighting some parts of our great country as well as some of the sports and culture. As far as the entertainers go, I think it was a pretty good assortment including KD singing a song by another Canadian. Don't know what group you are talking about but everyone has their own tastes. Did you volunteer to get involved and help select the entertainment?

Guess you have never had a snag on any aircraft you have flown?

The access hatch failed due to a microswitch problem preventing the fourth "log" to operate and within a minute the crew had done a software work-around to have the other items move without the other one.

The VIP part was late due to an anachist riot outside (remember Seattle a few years ago - same bunch) and the GG arrived 60 seconds prior to show time and the Producer had 37 seconds to make the call for the show to go to air as the show could not start without the GG.

Welcome to Live Entertainment - handled extremly well under tremendous pressure.

Just my opinion

Ooops after reading your profile I guess you have never flown a helicopter so you have never had any problems.

I some how doubt that you are an AME (correct me if I am wrong) or you would have had an understanding of how complex computer-controlled electro-hydraulic actuators work and sometimes don't. FWIW, the hatch and arm worked flawlessly thru numerous tests.

Like I said welcome to Live Entertainment with 3.9 billion watching

Ooops after reading your profile I guess you have never flown a helicopter so you have never had any problems.

I some how doubt that you are an AME (correct me if I am wrong) or you would have had an understanding of how complex computer-controlled electro-hydraulic actuators work and sometimes don't. FWIW, the hatch and arm worked flawlessly thru numerous tests.

Like I said welcome to Live Entertainment with 3.9 billion watching

At the risk of being labeled a snob, I'm actually a "real" engineer. As in a bachelors thereof. (yes yes....making me all the more clueless...Save your breath, I've heard them all). However I have spun a wrench or two in my day. Not on aircraft....but I do have some scar tissue on my knuckles. And yes...a snag on an aircraft. I understand that #### happens.

And I do recall the WTO thing in Seattle as that happened while I was living there.

But I REFUSE to believe that ANYONE actually enjoys the music of kd lang. her success is a plot perpetrated by the same terrorist group that propelled celine dion to fame and stardom. It's the only reasonable explanation.

I don't understand why, for an event that is supposed to be happy and upbeat....that they would perform such slow pukeful music. and Garou?? give me a break!

The light show was "ok". But the show itself did not hang together at all. The fiddler portion was great. (amazing what a faster tempo can do. I've always been an Ashley MacIsaac fan. But then the pace just dropped right off. I found it more self-indulgent than anything.

As people have said, we're all entitled to an opinion. But mine is the only RIGHT opinion. Here's hoping it improves. But so far it's been filled with fail. (except for Jen Heil. The silver wasn't TOO bad).

As people have said, we're all entitled to an opinion. But mine is the only RIGHT opinion.

I guess unlike us lowly AMEs that's why you have to wear a piece of a fallen down bridge on your finger to make sure you are always RIGHT :rolleyes::P