Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

A Good Call Guys!

gwk

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know HJ's SOP for rotor brake operation and the last time I saw one starting and stopping was in Courtenay last summer and I didn't watch what they did with regard to rotor brake operation.

After working on 76s a few years back I know the rotor brake puts a lot of strain on the dynamic components when being engaged. This is all well and swell on a offshore platform to ensure pax safety and speed up a crew change. However if you don't need to have the brake grinding way all the time why use it if you don't have to? The same on startup but maybe not as much stress. HJ probably has decided that the their procedure is the best for their operation.

Assuming of course that the crew was following SOPs

Gary,

You and I come from the same era. The reason we didn't use the rotor brake much in the early days was because the darn things caused so many problems - including rotor brake fires. For that reason we only used them when we had to - high wind, usually. But EVERY TIME we used the brake we had to (believe this or not!) get a thing-a-ma-jig called a "hockey stick" (piece of 040 aluminum cut in the shape of a hockey stick) from behind the pilot's seat, then crawl up on the roof and stick it between the disc and the pucks to make sure they were fully retracted.

Later, when Sikorsky came out with a better brake we went back to the same procedure we used with the 61's - brake on starts at all times.

But really, I don't think it matters much either way so long as you don't cut somebody in half or chop the tail boom off.

Regarding this incident - poop happens! Glad nobody (egos aside) got hurt, ... and we will all learn something from it.

Jerry

To sudden stop.....just because I have set some poles for hydro crews does not mean I am ready to climb the thing and string some line....why you think you know about the job from being in the industry, maybe working with crews? Yours is one of the oldest of the old school views...."son I have more time in this machine than you ever will" I am sure we have all heard that one from one guy or another.

That being said this is pretty odd considering they had the luxury of actually getting out of the machine, something we do not always get to do, and they clearly were aware of the wires given that they landed tight to the left side of the road. I personally, if given the chance, like to get out and assess the tight spot I landed in and try to draw up a game plan for getting the machine out. Nice to see what I may have missed. They will be better pilots for it hopefully...I like to think I am for my error(s)

A good reminder for new pilots on the importance of turns around the tail...not time for HJ to revamp SOPs....did I miss you suddenstop when this discussion was held for Ornge and the FO wire a while back??

I read over my last post and realised it may sound judgemental, I didnt mean it that way. I was only stating the obvious.

We all make mistakes, i would hate to have had youtube watching mine. I have a fair bit of PIC time now, and wish I had a buck for every time things didnt go as planned. Im not saying things like this are exceptable, but they happen. Power lines or not, it's a blade strike, I KNOW Im not the omly other guy who's had one!

Learn from the mistakes you live through as you will probably not get to live throgh them twice!

Live and learn, do it better next time.

The crew knows better than you what they did wrong, they dont need our help in rubbing it in!

Rob

Hey SuddenStop you sound like one of those guys that call in noise complaints when I use to fly into Childrens Hospital with a sick baby on board at 0300. Why is it some people only like to post negative events, how soon people forget about all the lives both Helijet and ORNGE have saved throught the years!!!!!

Yes it was a very unfortunate inncident but we can all learn from it!

We should all be glad that the pilots, paramedics and all the ground crew made home to their families that night and the poor patient in the back made it to the hospital to get the treatment they required.

I fully expect to be hammered for my views.

I'm not one to typically pat someone on the back for a job they were supposed to be doing in the first place, but i will relentlessly continue to pursue a safe working environment for ALL. This opportunity rose to the top of the pile because it clearly showed a complete lack of everything safe.

I may seem like a d*ck to those who need their ego's massaged daily about how good they are, but get over it. If I'm quiet, it's because I am in agreement. I won't be censored by anyones whining whatsoever who thinks my opinions should be kept to myself.

Chopper76, there is no doubt that these two companies have saved alot of lives over the years, but if either of them drop the standard and kill someone, the image is tarnished forever. Who wants to be at the helm to take that barrage of criticism? Nobody I'm sure, so if there is a failure in the pilots...fix it. if there is a failure in the system...fix it. If there is a failure in culture...fix it. Sounds like this scenario has all three.

Nuff said. I won't be responding to any more personal attacks against my stated opinion.

I am not a pilot...

But I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Tell you what. I'll go take a weekend course in litigation too. Then while you work on your next patient I'll stand over your shoulder and tell you what a #### job you're doing. Sounds fair?

Tell you what. I'll go take a weekend course in litigation too. Then while you work on your next patient I'll stand over your shoulder and tell you what a #### job you're doing. Sounds fair?

:up: :up: :punk:

Bravo!!

Only if i f*ck it up....cheers.