Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight Time Vs. Air Time Personal Logbook

It's still engine start to engine stop.

Honestly, who cares anyways? Your ability as a pilot is determined in the cockpit not in a book and in 17 years of flying I've been asked for my book twice and both were to for foreign agencies. The did not ask for proof and when I took my book to TC for the rubber stamp he said that the stamp "means the square root of sweet f$&k all" the only people that really care are low time pilots that need this .1's and .2's to add up to the magic 1000 hour mark.

I feel for you guys because this industry sucks right now. All I can say is go with what helps you sleep at night and make every flight better than the last because it's you discipline on the controls and decision making that will prove your abilities.

• Like 2

Honestly, who cares anyways? Your ability as a pilot is determined in the cockpit not in a book and in 17 years of flying I've been asked for my book twice and both were to for foreign agencies. The did not ask for proof and when I took my book to TC for the rubber stamp he said that the stamp "means the square root of sweet f$&k all" the only people that really care are low time pilots that need this .1's and .2's to add up to the magic 1000 hour mark.

I suppose that would be true if all you ever did was a commercial license, I assume by your comments that is as far as you went. Since the schools are going from start up until shutdown on the billing and you are only supposed to log "air time", there could be quite a bit of discrepancy in costs. To break it down for you, night ratings, IFR ratings for example. As far as TC goes, I did some mixing and matching for IFR, night for an ATPL, a lot was predicated on the old flight time criteria. I am not sure which region you deal with, but I had to prove by submitting logbooks that I had 200 hrs. of cross-country time, I had one 13,000 hrs.at the time.

Many pilots go there entire career without someone questioning there hours; however in this day of frequent audits by clients that is less and less likely.

I'd suggest that perhaps this pilot was seen by the judge as unreliable because he couldn't explain his interpretation. He was impeached several times. Just as those at TC that beleive flight time = air time can't provide a reasonable explanation to basic questions. Furthermore a review of his personal log demonstrated he had violated the CAR 700.15 limits on several occasions. Maybe he should have called Ontario region or director general to testify...

Now consider the consequences had this been a case after an accident that destroyed an aircraft or worse resulted in fatal injuries. Teams of insurance lawyers and personal injury lawyers will review all of your personal records and company records. They will be trying to prove somehow that it was the pilots fault (so he can take on some of the financial responsibilities) and I suggest if you can't explain your reasoning you will be seen as unreliable as well. If you are found to be in violation the company could also face charges under the Canada Labour Code. You could also face criminal charges if found to be negligent.

Just my opinion, but I think you'd be wishing you had cared about it earlier in your career. one other interesting comment was the managements position that the pilots personal logbook was not their concern...it's the pilots responsibility under the law so they just wanted to ensure company docs were completed correctly. If your personal logs don't match these records, in my opinion, you further risk appearing unreliable and perhaps even devious.

• Like 1

Oh it's happened before and it's not something anyone likes. I'm not defending anyone's actions here. I don't know either Party and I'm just reading the ruling. It sounds like the operator handled it effectively, but I bet they'd tell you it was something they could have done without. Correcting this very well known issue and confusion would pretty much eliminate a persons ability to manufacture an issue like this for one....

Doesn't the defendant work for you?

Simple solution. Put an Air time and put a flight time portion in your personal log book. Let the lawyers try and argue that you lied in court over that one. Then the company is held responsible for what is what in terms of customer requirements. I put these 2 things in the journey log. Why not my personal log?

It's not rocket appliances.

• Like 1

Simple solution. Put an Air time and put a flight time portion in your personal log book. Let the lawyers try and argue that you lied in court over that one. Then the company is held responsible for what is what in terms of customer requirements. I put these 2 things in the journey log. Why not my personal log?

It's not rocket appliances.

Or TC could come up with a simple comprehensive interpretation, along with some other CARS.

• Like 1

Or do it the way I suggest or don't. I don't really care. But if you are the type that relies on a civil servant to get anything done then you my friend have not been paying attention. All I'm saying is why not cover your *** so there is no mixing up what someone thinks they need to know.

Then when they ask you if what you have is air time or flight time you can say both. Is this to hard to grasp or have I drank too much tonight? I'm not even joking.