Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pilots leaving the industry

Yeah fixed wing seem's to be huge right now. The years of low pay and horrible schedules seemed to create a shortage over time. Starting to see the same in rotary. Unfortunately I'm to old to take advantage of another boom if it were to happen.:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Twin Helix said:

Maybe it means that it's time for every operator to step up and start training low-time guys and gals so they don't have an excuse to recruit from overseas because they 'suddenly' can't find experienced Canadians

I don't think that is going to happen. Just check out the ad's. 2,000 PIC. What a joke. The unfortunate part is all those companies that give low timers a chance lose them when they get 2,000 hours to big companies giving benefits etc. Everyone forgets who got them the 2,000 hours.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎09 at 8:29 PM, just looking said:

I don't think that is going to happen. Just check out the ad's. 2,000 PIC. What a joke. The unfortunate part is all those companies that give low timers a chance lose them when they get 2,000 hours to big companies giving benefits etc. Everyone forgets who got them the 2,000 hours.

lol,
it's a two way street and there s no loyalty on either side of the fence.

endorsement bonds I get but when they legally remain in place after the employee is laid off. That is where I take exception.
Like or not, this is the cost of doing business. And if you cannot provide year round employment for said endorsed pilot. That is the employers problem.

You cannot hold the said "endorsed pilot" to be accountable if you cannot provide them with a year round income.

That being said, if a pilot jumps ship within 90 days of being given an endorsement they should be held accountable.

this really isn't rocket science

What is really lacking on both sides of the fence. Is people being honest with each other.
the fine print, lack of honesty. The year round work BS, when the employer knows the bottom will drop out in September.

to be fair, there is the other side of the coin.

pilots that get trained etc at the beginning of the year and then jump ship. When a better offer comes their way.

, these people should be held accountable.

This really boils down to a case of being accountable.
As a pilot you give the employer your word that you are "In" for the year  "season:". They in turn invest money in training etc in you.
Then  some of us bail.
There are lots of offers out there for both low and high time pilots.  Some good and some bad. Most you need to dig through, all of the day rate, hourly, per diem, duty day hours and pay, benefits. Before one can make an informed decision.

And this is where I feel the whole process falls on it face.

Why the F##k cant all parties be up front about what they want and or at offering.

IE: pay, rotations, etc.

If you want and a 3 and 3 and the employer is offer a 4 and 2 there are going to be issues. Why not get it out in the open BEFORE it becomes the issue,

OR

Don't sign on at all and cut your own deal somewhere else.?

There are only so many bridges one can burn in this industry.

The clearer you are about what you commit to on either side of the fence.

The better off we will all be.

Finally,

If you give someone your word, stick to it.
for better or worse. they have your word.

And in an industry as small as this,

Your word, is a good as gold.
and likewise, it was good knowing yah.

• Like 3