Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tools Tips And Tricks

Gary Watson

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also be careful when you fly commercially as TDG would be in place with your little bottles.

A couple of guys at work did some reserch on goods considered to be covered under TDG, we found some suprising things. most of the things we like to keep in those little bottles are not considered dangerous goods. With the exception of mastinox. as far as I know legally you can check Anti seize, CPC, 355, moly, and turbine oil. Mind you at the airport it is totally under the discretion of the customs agent to deem what is and is not safe in regards to all materials. You may be able to plead you case with the nicer ones (I Have) but some are just power hungry ***** and think 10 cc of moly will bring down the a/c.

Remember the DC10 that they used a forklift to remove the engine/pylon assy as one unit?? They sure hung those guys out to dry!!

FOLLOW THE EFFING BOOK AND HAVE EVERYTHING DOCUMENTED, INCLUDING DUAL INSPECTIONS!!!!!

In that case the OEM had santioned the use of a forklift to remove the engine but the airline had found that taking off the engine and pylon as a single unit was quicker- unbeknownst to MDA. If they had not gone for coffee with the weight of the engine hanging on the one pin, then it,

(the Norm), would probably be still used.

FWIW, in 1980, we had some major roof and transmission deck mods required on our 2 S76as that had to be done by Sikorsky's Mobile Repair Team. They arrived in Calgary over a 2 day period with some travelling on different airlines than the others. It seems that their entire MRT was on the DC 10......

In addition to the personal losses, I can't imagine the distruption this must have caused at the company trying to replace this expertise in a short period of time.

I think my intent in starting this thread has been achieved as many great tools tips and tricks have been discussed. The cautions raised about home-made test rigs vs modified tools are also very valid and has served IMNSHO, to increase the awarness of both good ideas and to ensure that you always use the book, particularily if it quotes a specific tool or process.

Keep the ideas coming however as communication is the best tool of all.

Cheers

Gary

For 205

1 9/16 crowsfoot for t/r

T/R coupling regrease tool

2" and 2 1/4" crowsfoot for servos

extension cables for RPM box adjustment

turnbuckles for Kflex driveshaft

#4 phillips bit for shoulder kit screws

0-20 lb spring scale for min friction

0-4 lb spring scale for collective uniball

Been about 20 years since i last wrenched a 205, so what exactly is a "shoulder kit screw" and where the heck is the collective uniball????

1. The shouldler seat belt kit from dart or field in most medium helicopters is held to the pylon with Phillips # 4 Screws.

2. The collective uni ball is part of the the collective servo mount and adujusted to 1.0 - 2.5 lbs.