Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Boo-hoo, Wah, Sniff, Sniff...

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ain't really that hard....and you know it isn't. Six weeks on a longline and you're an expert. It's not brain surgery

You're better than you were, but you're a ways from expert...

The newbies?

We had one (a 100 hr wonder) come for an interview and the first thing he said was that he was looking for a 2 & 2 rotation... :wacko:

Wonder why he never made it to the check ride??

You're better than you were, but you're a ways from expert...

The newbies?

We had one (a 100 hr wonder) come for an interview and the first thing he said was that he was looking for a 2 & 2 rotation... :wacko:

Wonder why he never made it to the check ride??

so I want to know where you work? :D where a 100hr jockey has even a HOPE at a checkride. I've had offers of employment at 5 different outfits, not one ever even mentioned a checkride (except the 214 cojo gig). maybe I've been banging on the wrong doors?

just a thought to go with this thread: someone mentioned loyalty above, and the lack of it. do you think, after two years of minimum wage, no overtime, super long hours , being treated like a retard, and no flying, you would feel like you owed your company ANYTHING when they finally did put you behind the glass? 7-11 in calgary pays $15 an hour with a signing bonus. never heard of groundcrew making that.....

Ground crew should be payed the wages of a manual labor job as long as that's what their doing, and that type of pay is far above the min wage of a coffee peddler. People will excuse greed fpr earning trust, but there is no reason you can't pay a guy while your learning to trust him. Sure theres the old excuse of 'toughening them up for the job', but an employee will work better if he actually enjoys working there. I've seen a lot of poor attitudes toward newbies, and it usually comes from people not so old in the industry themselves.

I make over $200 a day, plus lodging paid for as a 100 hour pilot working a ground position. Sure the hours are long, the work is hard, and the breaks are few and far between, but I'm taken care of, and treated with about as much respect as you can expect as the newbie on the base. It isn't all bad out there. So yeah, there are some 100 hour wonders that can at least pay the interest on their loans while working towards that distant check ride. Or perhaps I am just the lucky one? You guys tell me.

Guest Angry Egg Driver
I hate to tell ya.... ain't really that hard....and you know it isn't. Six weeks on a longline and you're an expert. It's not brain surgery.

I have several thousand hours of longline time and i can promise you that as a 100 hr wonder if you made it through your first day on the end of a line you would be lucky....I only hope that you are trying to stir the pot because with an attitude like that you wont make it far in this business nor will you live long enough to talk about it.You might be surprised how many chief pilots and ops managers are lurking around on here....my best advice to you is to keep your mouth shut...probably get you a lot further in the long run.

I hate to tell ya.... ain't really that hard....and you know it isn't. Six weeks on a longline and you're an expert. It's not brain surgery.

This reminds me of a thread from earlier this year, the (not even)100hr guy that had longlining "down to a science". I think BEEBEE and 100hr guy should get together and fill the rest of us in. :blink: Im all ears :unsure: