Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

As350 Problems?

Hoss

For all those "shadey" Operators out there, call'n into the clients and making panic.... "What are you going to do when all the Astars you are using are grounded?" Well here's to you...We are still flying! Sorry, you know who you are....Sorry, still no work for your MD's or Bells...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I have is a total of 2 hours in an astar, and 1 hour was doing hyd. off, a lot harder than a 206, but still doable. I am not that qualified to comment on the system, but what is the big friggen deal. I am sorry that people have been killed, but was it really the hydraulics. There are so many variables ,as people have stated, that you cant jump to conclusions. We will have to wait and see what the allmighty T.C says and make our judgement from that. I read most all of T.C and N.T.S.B accident reports(Final Reports) and if you will notice, things like LTE, white out, brown out, practice autos, settling with power and the always ever presant-- pilot error ect.... take more lives and cause more accidents than hyd off. All I can say is that given the opportunity to fly one right now, sign me up!!! As for the govt over reacting, we all know that never happens . This is just my opinion, however unqualified it may be. This is a dangerous proffesion, and we all know that, its called calculated risk, thats why we get the big bucks!

Randy G:

Just curious :huh: - what is the potential problem with the 205 with 212 blades and dual HYD Sys?

I've flown the standard 205 with Single and Dual Hydraulics and would like to know what difference the 212 blades make.

A no hydraulics auto in a 205 would be an "event" even with 205 blades.

Cheers

Sharkbait

Sharkbait when you have a #2 hyd failure in a 205 with the 212 blades, you can't get the collective all the way down. With 2 of us durn near sitting on it (we are both over 200 lbs) we couldn't get the collective to the bottom. Tq gauge was still showing 16 psi (as you know 100%N2, flat pitch, you should indicate 10-13psi Tq ), someone of a lesser stature may not get it that far down. So if you have the #2 fail, and are unlucky enough to have the donk give up the ghost, you'll most likely bleed off Rrpm until it's beyond recovery. Whoever thought up that system, should have made a truely redundant hyd system. Ensuring that the cyclic, and the collective are powered by both systems.

Cheers

Randy G:

So we are not talking the dual Bell 212 System as installed on late model 205's?

Cyclic, collective, pedals on 1 and only cyclic and collective on 2.

Interesting!

Could you get the pole back up?

Been such a long time since I had the pleasure of driving a 2 by 5. Loved that machine.

Cheers

Sharkbait

PS I think if we don't stop we will have a whole new subject here.

T-Rex, it would be wrong of someone to actually call up a customer on this latest round of hearsay, I certainly never talked to anyone. But from your angle, I'd not be spouting it off as a non-issue , We haven't heard the fat lady sing quite yet.....

The boys on justhelicopters are talking of ASB 05.00.43 and the lack of spare parts. Does this affect all 350's? I recall an incident in "the corporation" on a routine 10,000 hr insp that BBX was found to have a crack radiating over 180 degrees !!??

Mag, just because I loose tailbooms, it's no reason for you to try it too ! :D