Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

I still contend that rather than a clever use of an obscure slang term, he simply spelt intelligent wrong.

Ahem... I simply cannot resist. It might be the wine. Or the beer. But I think you mean he spelled intelligent wrong. As in you spelled spelt wrong. Or spelt spelled wrong. Or spelled spelled wrong. God, now I'm totally mixed up. Did I mention the wine?

HV

• Like 3

Ahem... I simply cannot resist. It might be the wine. Or the beer. But I think you mean he spelled intelligent wrong. As in you spelled spelt wrong. Or spelt spelled wrong. Or spelled spelled wrong. God, now I'm totally mixed up. Did I mention the wine?

HV

Nice try, but spelt is past tense for spell. :P

Dictionary.com:

spelt

–verb

a simple past tense and past participle of spell.

Nice try, but spelt is past tense for spell. :P

Dictionary.com:

spelt

–verb

a simple past tense and past participle of spell.

Well, I could go on here about the fact that spelt is not the correct way of using the past tense for spell, but the fact is that people invent new ways of saying things and then they become "the way". Spelt is a type of wheat and was never used as the past tense of spell until recently, but I don't want to drift into pedantry. Americans say that the English use "spelt" and they use "spelled", but the British say the exact opposite. I will plant a flag and say that anyone using spelt is wrong but I think I may have mentioned the wine?

P.S. Is there an "I'm drunk" emoticon?

• Like 3

Well, I could go on here about the fact that spelt is not the correct way of using the past tense for spell, but the fact is that people invent new ways of saying things and then they become "the way". Spelt is a type of wheat and was never used as the past tense of spell until recently, but I don't want to drift into pedantry. Americans say that the English use "spelt" and they use "spelled", but the British say the exact opposite. I will plant a flag and say that anyone using spelt is wrong but I think I may have mentioned the wine?

P.S. Is there an "I'm drunk" emoticon?

Ha! "pwn3d"!

My other favourite is when people spell it "genious".......That is also alarmingly common. Especially in sentences like "Yeah way to go genious(sic)!!"

But I digress.....DOWN WITH UNIONS!!