Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Resurgence Of Entry Level Flying Jobs

Reading through to the end of this thread, on the border of China/Russia, I can grasp what most are saying, though, it seems to me that most are angry.

This I get, I'm not so 'thrilled' at the cost of getting here.

I know the road, and the ditches, and getting out of the latter to stay on the former, is mostly who you know, or who you rub elbows with at the pub, or the luck of the draw.

Sometimes, it's just solving a problem that could have spelled disaster for the company you are working for, or covering for them, that gets you the shot you were looking for, where you are tossed into a situation where there are 3 spots in a season, and when you finished your own, your two co-horts had some personal situation and had to get elsewhere, and you spent the whole season trying to balance your time off to stay legal. Hours are low in those situations, and respect is what you get from your tree-planters, and stuck hoe-operators, or boat drivers, or whoever.

I don't know why everyone comes here. It's an entirely negative forum whenever we tackle these threads.

What I can add to this one, is that I was 25 when I started, and I can define abuse in three languages in this industry. It's been 15 years, and 9 thousand hours, and no life except for what fits between. According to this thread, I am the luckiest pilot I have ever met for hours versus pay, but I've no life other than the job and am just now lifting my head away from the grindstone.

There isn't anything I need from the industry, I've gotten everything there is to offer, and there aren't any mysteries left other than perhaps the sickly feeling of divorce! Still looking for a wife! They don't like it when you work over 15 years at 300 + days a year, I suspect.

But mostly, I find that there are so many ridiculous comments on the reality of the situation of our industry, that finding credibility in this thread is like your nephew showing you how to find the really good bits in a big box of lego. Just bring the stuff from the bottom to the top until you get bored, make sure you get lots of attention and do it outside your parents door really early in the morning, someone will get up and make you breakfast.

The industries are the same, from dentistry to therapy. It's not easy to make ends meet anywhere. So some operators steal fuel from forestry (and continues to operate years later when everyone knows) Some carry contraband. O wonder, what is this model's secret to endure the times? Philanthropy? F**k no.

Back to the beginning of this thread. We have ourselves to blame that we tread water watching our Transport Lifeguards ignore these crooked predators swimming around us.

The situation is likely monitored and investigated, as a dirty operation. It should be shut down.

• Like 2

It would be a great thing to see Transport stop and punish crooked and abusive operators. How can they when the global situation is the way it is today?

Tom Clancy couldn't write a more complicated novel to describe the way the industries tie together.

A good read, McMafia, by Misha Glenny. More than 20% of the world's GDP is in shadow.

Converting jet fuel to noise in the pursuit of metal, mineral, and fossil fuels, we aren't in a great position. I was told to look elsewhere for a career, overall, it's been great, and overall, I'd have taken the honest advice given to me before I started, and do something else.

But we have only ourselves to hold responsible. And you can't just point at one situation and say, here, this is what's wrong.

Excuse my long blather please.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my training 5 years ago. Got a job within a couple months like 10 of the 12 or so guys in my class. Today two are flying. Four got some stick time, but only 2 made it a career. If I had not been successful I wouldn't be posting.

I am approaching 1000 hours and love my job. But I know I am part of the very small minority that makes it.

Unfortunately I have met 40ish (probably more but don't want to over-estimate) industry-employed 100hr grads. Of those, four will be lucky to get into the seat (most already quit).

I agree with the 10-20% flying success rate.

To prospective flight school students:

- You will find a job (non-flying) if you put in the time, effort, & money.

- You will get paid pennies for busting your hump for 2-5 yrs.

- You will have to try to remain positive but will end up bitter.

- If you never complain to anyone about anything, go every extra inch possible, know when and how to kiss a$$ imperceptibly, and clean everything in sight you may get a shot at stirring the stick but won't remember 50% of what you learned in flight school.

This industry is about people. Develop excellent working relationships with clients, pilots, engineers,and management and you may one day get a shot. (especially if 90% of your grad class already quit).

Hope this help a few.

• Like 3

Finished my training 5 years ago. Got a job within a couple months like 10 of the 12 or so guys in my class. Today two are flying. Four got some stick time, but only 2 made it a career. If I had not been successful I wouldn't be posting.

I am approaching 1000 hours and love my job. But I know I am part of the very small minority that makes it.

Unfortunately I have met 40ish (probably more but don't want to over-estimate) industry-employed 100hr grads. Of those, four will be lucky to get into the seat (most already quit).

I agree with the 10-20% flying success rate.

To prospective flight school students:

- You will find a job (non-flying) if you put in the time, effort, & money.

- You will get paid pennies for busting your hump for 2-5 yrs.

- You will have to try to remain positive but will end up bitter.

- If you never complain to anyone about anything, go every extra inch possible, know when and how to kiss a$$ imperceptibly, and clean everything in sight you may get a shot at stirring the stick but won't remember 50% of what you learned in flight school.

This industry is about people. Develop excellent working relationships with clients, pilots, engineers,and management and you may one day get a shot. (especially if 90% of your grad class already quit).

Hope this help a few.

Actuator, that has probably the best summary of what it takes to get a shot in this business I have ever seen. If all the students read your post, they could forget all the others. The only one point I somewhat disagree with is the (kiss ***) part; albeit, one needs to remain out of company politics and be very personable.

Very well put!