Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Canadian Heli Companys

OK DGP, how silly of me :D Jumping to unwritten conclusions like that :D I'll try harder next time...but please use small words :up:

and PM me more about Norman Smells? I was in FSJ, Ft Nelson, Simpson then, and I completely forget who was even up there then, I know Stan U was just ending and Lee S was just beginning as BM, but can't recall the Base Pilots names?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's truly interesting to note the disparity of experience that seems to have been achieved in 'one' organization. I worked with various segments of the Okanagan organization, east and west, from 1972 to 1979 as pool pilot, Acting Base Manager, Base Manager, and in other managment roles. As both tool pilot and base wonk I was told, on several occasions, NOT to help the 'enemy,' and I heard of people being told they'd be fired if they did so. Never saw it happen, and we all acted like decent human beings in the field, and everyone helped each other, as it should be. I did hear 'top' management, though, on several occasions, tell Base Managers and Engineers that people would be fired if they were caught aiding the competition. Again, never knew of it actually happening. The ugliness certainly colored my experience of what was, otherwise, a great company to work for, but large companies unfortunately take on persona that are unlike more human ones (some small companies, too, that I've seen over the years). The bigger the company, the greater the influence of the bloodless bean counters. As many are noting here, they're great places to train and gain experience, but rarely to enjoy the best side of the industry. B)

Are you saying my memory is worser than CAPS? How could that be? Honest, the ONLY times I was threatened with firings was at the Codfish ****-icopter Corp.

Coming from Dan Dunn (May you rest in Peace), I can believe that it was said though !

No doubt Dan and Quasar had the same attitude .

When BOTH Quasar aircraft in Banff National Park were AOG on the same day, Jerry Nells brought me (OK) in, and I did a 9.4 for him...and burned Quasar fuel to do it too .... Thanks Dan.

The morale of the story, lots of suits say NO, but in the field it's generally a different scene.

I remember during my stint at CHC we were told that if we allowed the "competition" into our hangar, it would be grounds for dismisal. :down:

Also remember a memo that forbid the wearing of any hat but CHC's. :down:

I glad I now work with a company that has a maintenance staff that knows that it might be us that needs a part next time, so will share when someone else needs this time. :up:

While there are somethings that may not be loaned, we always know that what goes around. comes around. And it's a small industry.... B)

Skids Up -----companies also reflect the backgrounds and personalities of those directing all efforts. May I also suggest that your maintenance policies in that regard are a direct result of the previous background of your DOM and also the fact that he's not a pri*k. If that wasn't the case then you probably couldn't loan toilet paper. The bottom line to me and others always was you keep that s.o.b flying and earning money no matter what you gotta do/borrow because the customer wants to know what you can do for him today. He couldn't care less if you had to borrow an o-ring from Brand X across the other side of town......and the o-ring doesn't care either. :lol:

Ah- the old " Thow shalt not wear your former Lord's ( a gilded pagan Idol ) hat - lest the lord smite thee." :angry:

Followed by the repy: "Oh Lord We pray that you give us a hat to wear as the sun is hot and my hair is thin. Until your hat descends from Heaven above I will continue to wear the hat of my former Idol. I pray that you smitest me not! And Lord - the same goes for the Jacket, boots, parka and sleeping bag." "I pray that the Lord has an active solitary sex life until then." :D

For some strange reason the Lord is usually not heard from again on this subject - mind you rumblings of thunder 'n flashes of lighting rent the sky far off and the earth shakes -the weak of heart tremble in fear. However the sacrifice of a bottle of Rum or a handy virgin usually keeps the devil at bay. :P

I always love when grand commandments descend from the mount before the required stuff to follow these new and improved rules are in place. This is especially true in this age of email ect.

Beta testing is unheard of. Don't ask the opinion of the folks who have to live with it - just publish and wait for reaction - use the word shall in every sentence - leave no wriggle room for the morons in the field to deal with reality. Micro management at maxi distance. :up:

Doesn't happen in my company of course - but I have encountered it elsewhere- upon occasion.

I suppose that if you always had a fridge full of beer and your friends continually drank your beer but not vice versa....you might eventually want to stop the practice.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has to do with one thing and one thing only: Incompetent Management! :down:

Ah- the old " Thow shalt not wear your former Lord's ( a gilded pagan Idol ) hat - lest the lord smite thee." :angry:

Followed by the repy: "Oh Lord We pray that you give us a hat to wear as the sun is hot and my hair is thin. Until your hat descends from Heaven above I will continue to wear the hat of my former Idol. I pray that you smitest me not! And Lord - the same goes for the Jacket, boots, parka and sleeping bag."  "I pray that the Lord has an active solitary sex life until then." :D

For some strange reason the Lord is usually not heard from again on this subject - mind you rumblings of thunder 'n flashes of lighting  rent the sky far off and the earth shakes -the weak of heart tremble in fear. However the sacrifice of a bottle of Rum or a handy virgin usually keeps the devil at bay. :P

I always love when grand commandments descend from the mount before the required stuff to follow these new and improved rules are in place. This is especially true in this age of email ect.

Beta testing is unheard of. Don't ask the opinion of the folks who have to live with it - just publish and wait for reaction - use the word shall in every sentence - leave no wriggle room for the morons in the field to deal with reality. Micro management at maxi distance. :up:

Doesn't happen in my company of course - but I have encountered it elsewhere- upon occasion.

Sharkie: at my most recent employer they published and distributed a "company Handbook" which stated, all official-like, the familiar "thou shalt not" wear competitor's hat/coat in presence of god's or customers. And also forgot to supply us with same as an alternative. the rest of us 'un-washed' masses just went "phttt' and continued to wear whatever we wanted. It was an empty gesture on their part, and seen as a needless gesture on our part