Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

How many lay offs so far ?

What is everyone thinking with this current issue?

Non essential business closing. Any cases in camp the camps will most likely be shut down 

Domestic flights being cancelled each day. So for those who work in different provinces and need to travel to work, is it now driving crew changes?  And how far are people willing to drive for a shift?? 

spring training classes are being cancelled, does this mean those who are not ppc’d are the first to be let go?

40 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

What is everyone thinking with this current issue?

Non essential business closing. Any cases in camp the camps will most likely be shut down 

Domestic flights being cancelled each day. So for those who work in different provinces and need to travel to work, is it now driving crew changes?  And how far are people willing to drive for a shift?? 

spring training classes are being cancelled, does this mean those who are not ppc’d are the first to be let go?

How's that 6 ft spacing going to work for fire crews in a helicopter...dah!

• Like 1

I've spent the last 2 weeks driving back and forth from Vancouver to various Alberta bases to carry out routine maintenance. Sounds like this may be the norm this summer.

I'm speculating that helicopters may be used for bucketing only, or moving minimal crews. Will be an interesting summer for sure.

As far as international touring goes, I spoke with a buddy today in Kazakhstan that is stuck there for the next four months, followed by four months off.  Another buddy is stuck in Ghana for the foreseeable future.  I'm SUPPOSED to be back to my government gig in the Caribbean the end of April if the government allows any foreigners in at that time, which will certainly be followed by 14 days quarantine, if I can travel at all.  We proposed two month tours to help out but it may turn into 3 or 4 months...

17 hours ago, RonnyRotor said:

Will be a lot of “ let er burn “ unless there are threats to life and property . Probably no standby since there will be unlimited ac available . Maybe weed out some questionable operators this year. Nice

Does it take a pandemic to start dropping water on a fire before 2 in the afternoon, and running rank 5 through the tree tops.  

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2020 at 10:19 AM, MEOB said:

One company here in the East let pretty much let everyone go with the exception of the management.   

I heard that also, but if you're talking about Universal, JSfirm just advertised on this site for them, pilots and engineers, four days ago. May have laid off the person who cancels that... 

22 hours ago, RonnyRotor said:

Will be a lot of “ let er burn “ unless there are threats to life and property . Probably no standby since there will be unlimited ac available . Maybe weed out some questionable operators this year. Nice

The sad part is the questionable ones are the ones who come out on top due to low pay, hiring practices and pencil whipping maintenance.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

I heard that also, but if you're talking about Universal, JSfirm just advertised on this site for them, pilots and engineers, four days ago. May have laid off the person who cancels that... 

Yes Universal. Last time I was talking to my buddy over there I was told they kept two pilots in Labrador, one is the CP and two in Newfoundland and one of those is the ops manager. Sad, must be the first time in the 50 odd years they been around that there were layoffs for full time employees. There still doing a bit of work in the states. Be interesting to see what Polar Shelf does this spring if anything.