Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Universal along with Lake Else closed.

DGP

12 hours ago, DGP said:

Is that the same Jim Grey that was working for Custom and then I heard was working medivac out in portage la Prairie? The old hangar that I worked in in Calgary was shared with Pan Arctic Oil...it burnt down....probably was the same one.

Yes, actually Jim went to TC out of Winnipeg after Liftair, but he did work for Custom as well at some point.

22 hours ago, RatDog said:

Didn't Echo Bay morph into GSHL after they started up?

It was a long time ago but I THINK the original owners of GSH got there start at Echo Bay mines and then started GSH themselves. But long story short when Echo Bay mines started to get into finical trouble GSH bought up the assets and moved out of the big building. 

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

Turbowest (Ron Ellard, Fred Hobbs, Brian Johnstone etc)

I got an hour on VEG up in Norman Wells back in 1984?....Brian Klegg was driving her and Robin Ostertag was wrenching on her...

1 hour ago, Whirlybird said:

It was a long time ago but I THINK the original owners of GSH got there start at Echo Bay mines and then started GSH themselves. But long story short when Echo Bay mines started to get into finical trouble GSH bought up the assets and moved out of the big building. 

Al Lang was doing summer work for Echo Bay...came thru Midwest hangar back in the early 80's.

1 hour ago, Whirlybird said:

Great Slave was Started by Rod and Allen would. I believe their first Machine was BFH. The worked out of a small hanger in Yellowknife until they out grew it. They then moved into the Echo Bay hanger. They worked closely with Echo Bay helping support Echo Bay 206. Eventually Echo Bay sold their helicopter to GSH and John Buchlandt went with it. John stayed with GSH until Adam started Acasta. I believe John is now there.

And lets not forget Tundra. I never saw eye to eye with Steve. I will say that he brought on  a lot of low timers, many of whom became some of the best long line pilots in the industry. Steve Wilson was an amazing pilot and he taught me a lot, in the time I was there.