Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Anyone Starting At Bcit Soon?

rcketchik

rcketchik......mabye i shoulda added some positive things about the school, the sheet metal part of the course was awesome, i know people that have gone through dawson creek and from what ive heard from more than one person you will come out with a better education than BCIT, i dont have a attitude and if you went through the bs and delt with some of the crap i delt with you will understand where im coming from...........you ever spend a week stringing a set of jetbox blades because you have to wait around a hour or two to get a stamp per step, or how bout getting yelled at constantly from one instructor and getting nowhere trying to get the instructor dealt with, in the end you just dont care anymore and put up with the bs just to the get certificate........i graduated a long time ago and chances are you would hire me RTR

as stated in the previous posts, i would be questioning what you are about to enter into very carefully, i went through the ame "m" training at a tech school in alberta, good time, and ok school, but found very out very quick that it was not at all worth the money, as it is the lowest paying job i have ever had. i was lucky enough to have another trade to fall back on and well when i can work a nine to five and make more than the dom at my helicopter company did, it is not a hard choice. also when i go out in the field i do it for no less than $1000/day and when i have to work the over time that is even better. get a welding certification you will be glad you did.

as stated in the previous posts, i would be questioning what you are about to enter into very carefully, i went through the ame "m" training at a tech school in alberta, good time, and ok school, but found very out very quick that it was not at all worth the money, as it is the lowest paying job i have ever had.

Henceforth, why it is not for everyone. It is not always about the "money", it is about the passion of working on an intricate and complex piece of equipment like no other. The job satisfaction and feeling in maintaining an aircraft to keep it flying safely is something (to some), to be proud of.....and yes, the money is there to those that manage to put up with an apprenticeship commitment that a lot of those outside aviation, would never understand. I am forever thankful to those that made the sacrifice beyond the money, because it shows their interest and passion for their career, and makes my job safer. So, I will say a big "thank you" to those dedicated. :up:

Henceforth, why it is not for everyone. It is not always about the "money", it is about the passion of working on an intricate and complex piece of equipment like no other. The job satisfaction and feeling in maintaining an aircraft to keep it flying safely is something (to some), to be proud of.....and yes, the money is there to those that manage to put up with an apprenticeship commitment that a lot of those outside aviation, would never understand. I am forever thankful to those that made the sacrifice beyond the money, because it shows their interest and passion for their career, and makes my job safer. So, I will say a big "thank you" to those dedicated. :up:

well said......

highgear why are you hanging out on this forum? there must be a welders forum out there for you.....

im sick off all the people on here bitching about money, there's money to be made if you willing to be away from base and work long hours etc. but if this is not for you then dont do it, rather than complain on here just quit and get another job....

I am really sorry, but it is about the money. Enjoying your work and being committed to it is a part of the attitude that you bring to the job. The money is what the employer is commiting to you to enable it to be profittable. I worked on the same 212 for the whole year. It would fly between 600 to 800 hours each year. The company charged approximately 2000/hour and was recieving 1.2 to 1.6 million per year on that aircraft. To accept $55000 for that you can basically forget it. Before all the posts come in defending the company, I know there is DOC in that 1.2 to 1.6 that the company has to put out.

I work to feed my kids, not so the boss can by a new Mercedes.

im sick off all the people on here bitching about money, there's money to be made if you willing to be away from base and work long hours etc. but if this is not for you then dont do it, rather than complain on here just quit and get another job....

This has to be just about the stupidest comment I have read so far on this forum... It seems to me that you are saying that a person has be willing to accept little pay to do a job they have at some point decided to invest a bunch of time and effort into. As well, you figure that the only way anyone could make a decent living is to work long hours or be away all the time? Ridiculous. As well, to tell someone that they should change careers because they are unsatisfied with the work conditions is ignorant. I entered this industry because of a general interest in helicopters, but I will not accept minimum wage just because I chose this job, even if I like it.

Helimat

This has to be just about the stupidest comment I have read so far on this forum... It seems to me that you are saying that a person has be willing to accept little pay to do a job they have at some point decided to invest a bunch of time and effort into. As well, you figure that the only way anyone could make a decent living is to work long hours or be away all the time? Ridiculous. As well, to tell someone that they should change careers because they are unsatisfied with the work conditions is ignorant. I entered this industry because of a general interest in helicopters, but I will not accept minimum wage just because I chose this job, even if I like it.

Helimat

i think you misunderstood what i was saying, what i am saying is you can make a good wage, but its not a monday to friday job year round to make that wage, i think alot of people that ***** about the money want to work monday to friday and be home every night, i agree that we are underpaid compaired to other jobs with no responsibility, but like you said i do this job because i like it and if your working for minimum wage your probably due for a raise, last year i was paid fair on both daily rate and flight pay and i made a bunch of money and travelled around having a good time doing it part of the year

well said and thankyou helilog56

for me it's what i want to do and the fact that i get payed to do this is a bonus, this how ever is not the way that everyone feels

and rcketchik good luck at BCIT i have nothing good or bad to say about the school, as i attended NLC. though the hoops are probably similar if not the same, just keep jumping and soon you will be an AME. at least thats what i'm hoping will happen (don't be a smarta** helimat)