Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tools Tips And Tricks

Gary Watson

Elvis, I have done the inspection both on and off the machine to double-check if it works accurately, if anything, it will show as a no-go chain when it might be 'technically' serviceable. I built into it some margin. It works as advertised. Wether it is bell-approved? Good question. Good point. I might call P.S.E and get some expert advice. It can't hurt. Might cover my ***.

Thanks, Elvis.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS cover your A-- folks. So far (touch wood) I haven't been stung, but I know a lot of Engineers who have. Usually as a result of trying to please the company. Just a little side note. I was in Yellowknife once and took over a 212 and discovered BOTH lock pins on the T/R gearbox filler cap were missing. It was suggested to me from my employer from Goose Bay that I just lockwire the cap in place and carry on. I said "Not a chance" No repercussions. Can you just imagine what the lawyers would do with that if something went south??

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't work on 206s, but **** if I wouldn't say those new fangled ratcheting box end wrench sets aren't the cat's arse for just about anything. Granted they can't torque, but when it's the field, isn't the gauge of a good mechanic how quickly he can remove the part to show the customers what broke and what they'll be eagerly waiting on for the next while?

Of course maybe I'm in the stone age and everyone else in the "normal world" is already using them :blink:

I remember one time...lugging two tool boxes of crap with me every job i went....then I saw one very esteemed A-star engineer with only one of those small green miltary tote bags....and that was it.

I learned quickly that those tools he bore were the essentials, and should he need more tools, they would be shipped by request with the parts he'd clearly be needing to fix the snag....and it was never an issue.

I soon learned to carry less tools and use my mind more, plan better and everything worked out well. I was never at his level, but he set a good example.

In my job now....I can hold the essential tools in both hands and do jumping jacks....I've taken most of the rest home for working on the bike and car.

Too friggin' funny!

Seriously tho.... a trick I learned from a buddy (dave) is one of my fav things to take in the bush-box is a couple of bread or cake pans from momma's kitchen.... they hold small parts, catch the fluids dripping from open lines or filter housings, can be used on the bench or engine decks for washing parts ect. They cost little, weigh almost nothing, and can be used in many of ways.

Also, any form or home-made or 'customized' tool often becomes a guy's fav tool....sometimes because he made it himself, or because it is the only tool that can do the job ( R.R 250-C20 FCU anyone?)

Over the years I built tools for some ugly jobs or just to make a tedious one a little easier. Some I got the ideas from others, some I came up with myself. two of my favorites are:

Starter Gen support fixture for a 205. Used to install, remove or just to re-lube the drive spline.

204 T/R chain stretch tool. It is used as a go-no-go guage for the chain while it is still installed on the machine.

Both tools are easy to make, and use. Saves a lot of work in both jobs.

The starter gen support fixure sounds interesting, Care to share the design. Sure would come in handy if it makes the job easier.

Isn't that just a ratcheting cargo strap, with enough length to wrap around the engine and hold the sg?

No, 6ft, this support is a chunk of S.S. sheet metal bent and fit to hold the entire weight of the starter and can be slid fore and aft keeping the Starter more-or-less in place above the T/R DS. It makes it easier to lube splines, doesn't allow contact with the tunnel, and keeps it lines up at the correct height to slide back in place. if you are changing a starter, it helps a bit, but not as much.. It all depends on how finely tunes your design is. I'm on Mk. 3 now. Always tweaking it bit here and there. I'll take a picture or two and up-load on here for a general look at it. I got the idea from a certain former Yellowhead engineer...he is working in Kelowna now, i think?

How do we post pics again??

Carry all of the consumables that should be in the spares boxes but usually aren't i.e. crivp on wire connectors, solder, lockwire, AN3 and AN4 bolts (assorted sizes) extra lock nuts (MS2042- x) split pins, baggies, nylon ties,CPC (careful if flying as its a Dangerous Good as well as Butane if you use a butane powered soldering gun) Any special tools needed for the a/c you are working on (i.e. ground down 3/8 crowsfoot for removing Inverters on a 212) and then fiqure out how to keep the least amount of tools and stuff in you box so you can carry it running OJ Simpson style throgh an airport with all your other stuff.LOL. :lol: