Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tools Tips And Tricks

Gary Watson

Great responses guys. Some of the special tools are obviously generating interest with other forum members. If you want pictures and are near Calgary PM me and I can probably drop over.

Gary

ps my favourite extra when going anywhere, once I got past the wire,pins crimp tools etc is several rolls of self-fusing silicone rubber tape. Has 1000+1 uses.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is another great portable trouble light at Princess Auto that has about 30

LEDs in it. Its bright and the battery charge lasts about 6 hours. The PA cost is around $29 but sometimes on sale for $18.

Gary

Guest Bullet Remington
There is another great portable trouble light at Princess Auto that has about 30

LEDs in it. Its bright and the battery charge lasts about 6 hours. The PA cost is around $29 but sometimes on sale for $18.

Gary

Ah yes! princess Aero!! M y favorite source of supply for weird stuff that i can use! At least once anyways!!

Love buying tools there! Don't feel one twinge of regret when i have to modify them!

They do have some neat speciality stuff though! And at a great price!!

Belated Birthday greeting Gary! Sorry i missed it. I would have celebrated it 3 days later had I been in the mood to celebrate my own. But at our age, celebrating birthdays is kinda like bragging!! :lol::lol:

Heres a few from the tickle trunk

OK I'll bite I reconize the two bottom ones (swing wrench and cotter pin puller) but what's the top one for? I can't be the only person who's wondering....

I got and cheap common screwdriver for running in those T/R driveshaft bearings on the 206's. Just hit it with the torch and gave it a wicked bend. Also the FCU adustment tool on the Allison's with the ceco systems a 5/16 nut brazed on an old hacksaw blade crude but effective. Just a couple that come to mind.

A stubby straight screwdriver with a small notch filed on the side is very handy for removing the circlip on the t/r output on 212 tranny then make a 4 sided grease tool (cross shape) that allows you to insert and spin making greasing very easy and clean. Also a back saver and monkey arm saver is the pelican tool box with wheels and handle. (plus if the airlines crack them they give you a new one!!) But buy black as the dealer I use says the orange and yellow etc or stolen way more frequently.......

a 1/4 and a 5/16 wrench cut about 3/4" long, and riveted to a piece of gas line from can tire, for hyd pack and other stuff. a fine thread nipple that will thread into the vent on the 206 head, so you can put a baggy on it and all the grease goes into it. also at san fransisco stores they have a AA powered blacklight for about $8 that is great for leak checking..I painted my screwdriver bits orange so when you are crawling under the machine changing something, and they fall out of your screwdriver, you can see them. and when you are upstairs, you can see if you dropped them on the deck. the stool to sit on up there helps also. the tube and hose clamp to pop the T/R gearbox site glass off is good to have. an old extension cord with a 6" lead coming off each end and alligator clips to match the other side, so you can plug your 50 ft extension cord in and voila, you have a 51 ft test cable, the wobble phillips for the baggage hold lower screw on the RH side.

Neat trick for fasntening that tricky back nut on the Allison 250 Fuel control:

Take a 5/16 craftsman gear wrench and get it on there, but instead of turning the wrench, reach into the edge of the "socket" part with a straight pick and puch the ratcheting part around a few teeth at a time. Once you get the hang of it it goes quite fast.