Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Work Permit Freeze

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I weigh in on this thread a little bit of background might be in order

The current company that pays my bills has in the history of the company (16 years) trained From 100 hrs, 11 pilots, all that remain out of all of them is one.

The catch is they only employ 6 pilots / 4 helicopters.

We have had some quit within weeks of finishing a Full Mountain course, PPC and a type endorsement, as well another quit after he hit 1001 hours @ the beginning of august with 2 days notice he walked across the street to the operator that refuses to hire anyone under 1000 hours and promptly started calling the customers telling them to come fly with the cheaper operator (probably saved costs on insurance)

At the beginning the operator/owner asked that in trade they stay on for at least 3yrs

He also paid them well (way more than I got starting out), provided accommodation, cell phone for what most 100-hour wonders get I think the operator treated them really well.

IF this is a sample of how other operators get treated by training 100-hour pilots I can see the allure of hiring a fully trained qualified pilot regardless of country of origin that is just happy to be working and paid well.

The guys I work with are extremely professional and this makes us all swear and curse (couple guys has been here 10 years+) But we have had allot of bad apples cycle through the door.

These bad apples are ruining it for the operators willing to train other hopeful pilots=need other source of pilots=foreign pilots.

I am of the opinion that as long as there is even one qualified unemployed pilot in Canada work permits should be locked down(-the bad apples they can starve for all I care).

The owner has told me this year he probably won’t give this opportunity again (headaches, cost) and at this point I can agree.

Every time this happens they’re slamming the door on the guy behind them.

Maybe if this stops the operators would be more willing? Maybe I’m dreaming. I guess thats da bizzness

:blink:

Let’er rip Eh!

DSL

Having worked in Canada as a foreigner some years ago l'm feeling the need to add my 2 cents worth given the tripe being posted.

Particularly love your posts Happyfeet. "Canadian jobs for Canadians ra ra ra" and your working in the UAE!!! Does the word hypocrite come to mind? But ofcourse your heading home and even prepared to work up north. Admirable! There are foreign pilots who may have been working up there for years now showing a bit of 'loyalty' to an employer and they should step aside because you and any number of the other 'experienced' Canadian pilots you mention are missing out!? Get a grip!

And no we don't have alot of Canadians flying down here in Australia, largely because the work here isn't seasonal as it is in Canada. That's not to say that we don't have foreign pilots. The company I work for numbers about 40% foreign pilots plus a good chunk of the engineers. And just because times are getting tough we should tell them "thanks for coming fellas but you can take your bat and ball and go home now". They were all employed in good faith, most when there was a shortage of Australian pilots and I'm greatful that they could fill a hole in our workforce. Had they not we would have had to turn away work and/or lost contracts.

I have absolutely nothing wrong with HRDC reducing the number of work permits given the current downturn. They should, but shouldn't employers also be given the option of employing a foreign pilot if a 'suitable' Canadian pilot can't be found?

Happydays.....you bet!

Darksidelogger, I heard stories similar to this one from quite a few operators when I was trying to find work as a 100hr pilot. I can see how it would be frustrating as an employer to invest money and take on the extra risk of hiring a bran new pilot, only to have him jump ship as soon as he starts to return on the investment.

If people wont stick around there has to be a reason to go somewhere else though. Usually either better money or a better place to live. I think even if an employer has hired you since you had 100 hours, they still have to realise what you are worth when you reach 1000 hours. Do they expect someone to stick around and work somewhere they dont want to be, or make less money then they are worth becuase they hired them first?

I saw what my company was billing on the flight tickets I was filling out. While I was lucky to get hired at my first job, and get my first break, I still made them alot of money while I flew my first hours away. The company however, treats new pilots well and gives raises when pilots reach a certain hour level. I think they keep alot of pilots the way they bring them up. I did agree to stay for 3 years but I didnt even have to think about one and I would do it again in a second.

I also understand things from the employers point of view. Hiring 100hr pilots isnt an option for every company, it depends on alot of factors and I dont hold anything against the guys who can't do it.

The biggest drive making 100hr pilots a viable option however is pilot shortages. Anything that takes the pressure off the pilot shortage, also takes away the pressure to hire 100 hour pilots and get them flying. If a business can't hire a 100 hr pilot, then they have to pay more to hire someone with more time. If they can't find anyone, then they need to offer more money until they do. If you can't make money this way, then you can't take on the job. If you can't take on the job, the customer has to find someone who can. If nobody can take on the job or do it properly, then the customer has to lower his hour requirements or he cant do the job. Of course why go through all that when you can just hire a foreign pilot who is willing to work below market value for his services.

I have no problem with foreign pilots in Canada, I have met some great guys, but I think the rules need to be equal both ways. Our availability for work permits needs to be specific to the country of origin and it needs to reflect the opportunities Canadian's have to work in that country. It also has to reflect our unemployement rate. Of course who wants to go somewhere else when they already live in the best place in the world to make a living flying helicopters.

If people wont stick around there has to be a reason to go somewhere else though. Usually either better money or a better place to live. I think even if an employer has hired you since you had 100 hours, they still have to realise what you are worth when you reach 1000 hours. Do they expect someone to stick around and work somewhere they dont want to be, or make less money then they are worth becuase they hired them first?

Walking across the street does not equal a better place to live. Maybe it's an offer of better money, but more often the company is taking advantage of the previous operator's training, time and effort put into said pilot, while getting him some hours, and making him useful as a skilled pilot.

You, as a pilot on the receiving end of that chance, abuse it by running off to a better offer, if you don't give you present employer a chance to meet it.

None of us want to work for less than the next guy, but every pilot that has been trained, PPC'd, endorsed, and given a "first" leg up, and then left for a "better" offer, is the reason for operators not being too excited about bringing more new guys on.

I'm not an operator, but I know, (and have been on the receiving end of an operator generosity, more than once or twice) that if we're not part of the solution, we are the problem.

Walking across the street does not equal a better place to live. Maybe it's an offer of better money, but more often the company is taking advantage of the previous operator's training, time and effort put into said pilot, while getting him some hours, and making him useful as a skilled pilot.

You, as a pilot on the receiving end of that chance, abuse it by running off to a better offer, if you don't give you present employer a chance to meet it.

None of us want to work for less than the next guy, but every pilot that has been trained, PPC'd, endorsed, and given a "first" leg up, and then left for a "better" offer, is the reason for operators not being too excited about bringing more new guys on.

I'm not an operator, but I know, (and have been on the receiving end of an operator generosity, more than once or twice) that if we're not part of the solution, we are the problem.

Given tough economic times! There will be no further work permits for such a specialized industry.

I fear there may be a reverse "cull" at hand! OMG! :lol:

Was going to attempt to put something constructive to the keyboard regarding this whole issue of foreign pilots being hired/not hired bla bla bla bla...but I thought about the saying "don't argue with a fool, cause you'll lose" and I came to my senses...

Happyguy....you WIN!!!

I'll come back in 6 months and see if there is still the same old hyprocritical nonsense being posted anonymously. Maybe we can try again for a re-match, but with the exceptional talents of persons such as 'happyguy' and a few closely related contributors, and their uncanny ability to spit out enormous volumes of bla bla bla bla...I think I've already lost.

In the meantime, I'm just going to get back to my flying job...back home...in Australia...amongst foreign pilots...loving it every minute of it...working with a diverse group of pilots...of all levels of experience...citizens and non-citizens etc etc.