Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Long Lining Snow?

DGP

Guest plumber
Well suck it up Amp, that boat has all readly left port. All you can hope for is that the games are a success.

I love ya Elvis but the only hope in B.C is between Princeton and Vancouver. How did the games work out for Sarajevo?

We'll be paying for this long after its over.

Shooting is a sport it can be judged by measurement. Figure Skating is an art that takes athletisism.

If it can't be timed, measured or scored it shouldn't be in the Olyimpics.

If sex was an Olympic sport time wise I'd be on a box of Wheaties. :lol:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a montrealer who was 6 years old in 1976, all I can say is: At least you guys didn't build a stadium!

(My brother is and engineer for the company that built the village that was recently "unveiled". So at least that kept him employed for a while.....)

IYCBEJE The olympics are going to bring some respect to Vancouver and unite the country in celebration of sport, not to mention stimulate the economy :boff: . As for the longlineing of snow, I have heard that they have a stockpile ready to push and would only need to do bring in helicopters as last ditch attempt. GO CANADA GO!!

I love ya Elvis but the only hope in B.C is between Princeton and Vancouver. How did the games work out for Sarajevo?

Actually the Games worked out well in Sarajevo. The disintegration of the country a few years later had nothing to do with the Olympics but a lot to do with the fall of the Soviet Block

Actually there are not to many people it the West that can say with any authority that the Winter Olympics were good for the people of Yugoslavia. In a country that had so little foreign currency (read "trade") for them to put on such a lavish display, i'm sure that it came at a high cost to the ordinary citizen by way of loss of services, be it health care, electricity, water, etc.. We here in the so called affluent West can't even tell what the true cost of the 2010 dog and pony show is because of all the lies and cover ups that are told about expenditures and cost over runs. Remember the last BC election and the so called "balanced" budget?...........

I would argue the point too that the fall of the former USSR had a great influence on the fall of Yugoslavia. In fact Yugoslavia for the most part had a hostile relationship with Moscow and considered themselves a non-aligned nation with regards to the cold war and the arms race. Tito held the nation in a grip of fear for many years and only after his death did things fall apart.

Plumber: You keep your little marshmallow in your pants! The only cereal box you are going to find yourself on is a box of Fruit Loops and the miniature one from the Variety Pack at that! :P:D

Tito held the nation in a grip of fear for many years and only after his death did things fall apart.

Who????José????? :lol:;)

Insider for the ones concern.

Yeah Plumber...keep that tiny little glue lid in the pot man. Nobody wants to know..pffff..

You could be right Petit-Lion that Plumber might be using (and i'm not saying that he is or was) something to give himself an edge in his "sport". Not to long ago i watched an investigative reporting show on TV and some experts and top world athletes were of the opinion that it is impossible to compete at an international level without performance enhancing drugs.

Indeed the amount of money that is at stake, in the form of product endorsements which is decided by who wins and who looses fuels a huge industry in developing new ways to beat the drug screening tests. There is only a small fraction spent on developing new tests to try to keep pace with new drugs and ways of masking them. Things have gotten to the point that "samples" have to be frozen and tested at some point in the future when the tests have caught up, but by that time the cash is in the bank and it's a moot point except for a bit of public embarrassment if someone is caught. It's in horse racing, baseball, running, (in case we forgot that one.....Ben J.) even the use of marijuana like our little buddy Ross (was that his name?) the snowboarder. I can just see him trying to explain that one...."Hey dude.....i was at a party and some random guy was smokin' up and exhaled on me!......", most likely in every sport.

This begs a few questions, one being is it even realistic to expect anyone who wins to be "clean" or should we just do away with the rules prohibiting drugs and let athletes choose whether or not they use them because they don't seem to be able to be honest about it and it's not exactly a level playing field. So in the name of fairness do we host two games, a clean one and an "enhanced" one? But really, would athletes compete in their division? If they can't be honest now, they probably won't be honest if an accommodation was made for drugs.......

so now that I've lost interest...........

how's the slinging going? I saw a 119 maybe, on the news last night slinging some gear on the hill? What's the latest?

Yes, they're planning on covering up the hay bales with 3 feet of snow. After all that work, hope the temps stay on the chilly side! Vancouver gets, on average, 22" of snow per year. Colorado mountains, on average, 64" per year. We were actually chosen to host the Winter Olympics in '76 and turned it down.

Anyhoo...love Vancouver and BC; hope it's a boost to the economy and glad someone's getting to work on the snow haul! If it were colder, they'd just bring in snow machines, so lucky the heli ops who get to haul the white stuff. Make it sa-weet and well-groomed for Lindsey Vonn and Alice McKennis! :P Giddyup!