Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Heli-Tour Ripoff?

They only charge the pilots 25hrs if they don't have any turbine time, if you show up with enough time to meet their insurance requirements then all you pay is for the initial training and PPC. This is what happens when you go to a school and only pay for Piston time and want to work somewheres that only fly turbines. Atleast at icefield you don't have to sit around for a whole summer, you get flying within weeks. Sure you would deal with alot of bullshit, but we're all in it for the same reason.

Is the company in question really charging its employees $25K for a mountian course. Thats crazy. Just a suggestion, I went to the states and for about $10k built up 50 additional hours, all of which were in the mounians. The conditions there were very similar to say Jasper area.

At $200 per hour x 50hrs, wow, that must of been some jetranger? As for people having to pay for 25 hours of helicopter time, well tell me, who is giving 25 hours of jetranger time away? anyone? anyone? wow that is just crazy!! What crazy times we live in!!

Maybe if anyone is in doubt, go to CHL in Pentiction and ask them if they will do a free 25 hr mountian course on you, or anybody....I betcha I know the answer to that one!

This is what happens when you go to a school and only pay for Piston time and want to work somewheres that only fly turbines.

I've never paid for a type endorsement/ppc, night rating, ifr, etc.

I finished school with a r22 rating.....

mind you I had some fixed wing time which helped with conversions...but still

So you are saying you came right out of school with only R22 training and your first Helicopter job was on a turbine machine. If you flew a bunch of hours on a 22 or 44 before your turbine endorsement then i think your talking something totally different.

old dog, i agree with you and never once questioned his safety. But to charge people for this training and working for free is what i dont agree with.

the historical note, times have changed for the most part, as we are in the 2011. An old engineer used to say to me how back in the day they used to spend all summer in camp, no phones, no internet blah blah blah. well great! News flash we have rules and regulations that have changed all that! its not because us young guys are afraid of work, the industries changed.

I dont know what drives me crazy more hearing about people working for free (or paying to work). Or how "back in the day" things used to be done.

Where do you get that they are working for free???? Sounds to me that if you want to work there and you don't have turbine time and/or a mountain course then you pay for it and go to work for a wage.....

Is the company in question really charging its employees $25K for a mountian course. Thats crazy. Just a suggestion, I went to the states and for about $10k built up 50 additional hours, all of which were in the mounians. The conditions there were very similar to say Jasper area.

So you are saying for 200.00 per hour you get an instructor with a jetranger (because thats what we are discussing here if you were following the conversation) for 50 hours and end up with a certified mountain course for a mere 10,000.00?

Please post the name of the company and the contact # so we can send some pilots there for mountain courses!!!! A heck of a deal with our dollar being what it is.

You are one lucky guy if you really didn't pay for an IFR or night rating..............

Can you lie on the internet Captain??