Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Icefield Helicopter Tours

Guest sharky

Autorotate,

Like Sharky said, I don''t see how your chances are any better with IHT except that you''ll be a charity case.

And sorry, but I have no sympathy for anyone who feels like they''ve had ''the wool pulled over their eyes'' by a training school. Anyone who plunks down nearly 50k and hasn''t done the research, is nuts. Plain and simple.

I guess I''m in the "SUCKER" catagory as you so bluntly put it, mixing chemical. I can''t even begin to describe the wealth knowledge and experience that has been handed down to me in the last two seasons by a few of this industry''s best. Its been an excellent foundation for what I hope will soon turn into a very rewarding career.

Anyway, good luck and I hope your attitude doesn''t hold you back too much.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I didn''t think it was possible, it turns out that there IS someone out there who is harder to reach than you.

I have spoken to them, fired off the papers twice but haven''t been able to reach ''em fer a follow up.

I''d ask ya fer a plug but I don''t want ya stealin it.

• 1 year later...
Guest jesse

I received this letter in response to a resume i sent to a helicopter tour company. My intention is not to slag the company im just curious if the contents of this letter are considered normal. for example( volunteering, paying for all your own training).

Prior to selecting any low time pilot, pilots’ are asked to volunteer time as ground crew at our Cline River Heliport.

The most important qualities we require are compatibility with staff and management, maturity, positive attitude, above average flying skills, ability to quickly learn mountain flying techniques, ability to see work that needs to be done, and working without constant supervision.  Duties would include flying sightseeing tours (no off field landings permitted), ground briefing, loading of helicopters; care and cleaning of helicopters & ground vehicles & tour building and heliport; cooking for staff, making picnic lunches for clients, processing reservations, selling tours at the heliport to walk in clients and at a sales booth away from base, issuing boarding passes, collecting cash, driving vans to pickup guests (class 4 Alberta driving license & drivers abstract required) and any other tasks as required by Icefield Helicopter Tours.  Prior to arriving, required ground training are a valid Standard First Aid and WHMIS certificates. Hours of operations are 7 am to 830 pm. The day starts at 6 am waking up, showers and breakfast; then by 7 am helicopter daily inspections in preparation to fly, and ends when the last helicopters are put to bed and the daily cash out and tour building clean up is completed; by about 9 pm.  

If selected, we offer all pilots the same opportunity.  You are required to pay all your training costs until you are an operational tour pilot and you can fly safely for hire. This includes our initial company training (min 2 hrs), Bell 206 endorsement (if required min 5 hours), Pilot Proficiency Check (PPC) with Transport Canada on Bell 206 (1 hr), Introduction to Mountain Flying (min 2 hrs), and Tour Pilot Training (min 1 hr).  These are approximate times depending on your personal abilities, previous training and currency. Second year pilots require recurrent training and a Pilot Competency Check (PCC), internal (min 2 hrs). The training rate is $850/flying hour wet + GST, payment due prior to flight training. Those returning for the third year and beyond, all recurrent training costs are paid by Kananaskis Mountain Helicopters. Endorsements or full mountain courses are still required to be paid.

Should you be selected and accept our offer, we pay all first year pilots $25.00 per revenue hour flown. All second year pilots are guaranteed 2 flight hours per day and in the third year you are guaranteed 3 hours per day. Icefield Helicopter Tours supplies two per room accommodation and food, at no charge, for all crew. Rotations are two weeks on and mandatory one week off, away from base.  In the past our first year pilots have flown between 50 - 100 hours during the first summer.  As your proficiency progresses, you will be authorized to accomplish more tasks including off field landings, this then gives you more hours in future years. All low time pilots share the available hours depending on individual ability.  The management will decide who flies but we do try to share as evenly as possible all flights.

Past successful low time pilots are now working in the industry having gotten their first break with us. Should you still be interested, please come to our Cline River Heliport and bring your flying clothes (clean beige pants), your work clothes, a towel and a sleeping bag. 

Good grief... :down:

Jesse, believe me when I tell you there are a lot better ways to start! If you are going to put in 12 hour days then you should be getting paid not 'volunteering"!

We have all paid our due's in one form or another, and all of us started at the bottom, just like you will.

One would think that an entry level position with CHW, Airborne, Highland etc. might be more your style. Good training and proper compensation.

I cut my teeth on those exact rocks and mountains you are talking about...I would recommend more than 2 hours of mountain training to play in that sand box.

Best of luck there young buck!