Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Icefield Helicopter Tours

Guest sharky

now that being said.................

i HAVE had operators tell me that if young pilots get 200-300 hours at icefield they will pick them up.

i'm not saying good or bad. everyone decides for themselves. bottom line is getting those hours into the logbook....................

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just to give you a little more insight Jesse. Ralph usually has 2 or 3 " Volunteers " working on any one day. Meaning even if he has a super duper fly day of say 6 hours you will only be paid for 2 hours as all the flying is devided amongst the " Volunteers ". That equates to $50 for a 12 hour day. Plus two hours of experience. And thats on one of his busiest days. Now that being said.......... you only need 150 more days like that before 412 driver can get you a job with someone that hires from Icefield helicopters. :up:

Guest jesse

I had no intention of working for free or paying any money, I just wanted to make sure this was an isolated case and that after not getting a job for a year since i got my license i wasnt being to picky. Regardless volunteering doesnt pay the bills. Thanks for your input

I wonder how many guys or gals that have worked for Icefield are now working elsewhere, I myself know of 2, and as for what Ralph is doing is it really any worse that what allot of flight schools are doing, how many graduates of all the flight schools in Canada are actuall working in the industry right now? how many were fed a line to get their 50K, I don't want to seem to be defending Icefield in any way, and at least he is not asking for a 30,000 dollar training bond to be put up as was the case with Jetsgo, if it comes down to it Jesse that you either work for Icefield for a season and maybe get a 100 hours or you find other non aviation related employment then spend all your wages buying hours from a school in the fall, which do you think is better?

Good Luck either way.

DTII

What a crock of sh*t!.... That is the letter sent to Jessie from Icefield.

Hmmm, An hour long PPC and a two hour long PCC Ya right! As a check pilot these statements are totally incorrect and misleading!

A 2 hour Mtn course...What a joke!!!! Playing in them those hills at Cline River with 2 hrs is pretty crazy!!!!..... A 1 hour Tour Pilot course???? What the **** is that??? Sounds like a money making scheme to me!

STAY AWAY!

Do not know the people who run this company. However, I have heard yarns. One young pilot who stopped by my offrice mentioned he had been to Icefields hanger. Much the same story. I had nothing for him but, like was mentioned on this thread before, liked his style and sent him off to talk with someone I knew was looking for a pilot. Dispite his low hours, he got on and is still flying (RH44 mind you). He would not bend at the middle for these people and you sure should't. Good luck and, it's just my opinion, but I think you should offer yourself for what you are worth.

I figure a "Lowtimer" should be worth about 10 to 12 dollars an hour doing ground crew duties and other " lowtimer duties" and should also get about 20 to 30 dollars an hour for flight pay. after about 500 hours the pay should go up. If everyone was willing to accept this pay and noting less, the whole industry would benifit.