Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

VMC flight into IMC

Norm

7 hours ago, shaggy said:

Nearly 20 years and I have been there many times.  It’s just a good example that everyone knows about and it’s much more clear than the “well the other guy did it” argument.

My favourite, "I probably have more time in these things than you do".

🙄

14 hours ago, Toughtimes said:

“well the other pilot got us into that spot so you should be able to”

I had a customer say the above pretty much word for word.

I looked him in the eye and with a straight face I lied and said,

"you do know that pilot is dead now"

He never questioned me again all summer.

• Haha 3

I had a customer on a production job say I was OK but then proceeded to tell me about the fastest most talented pilot he ever had doing the job. I asked the customer why isn't that guy flying you now, his response... "well he crashed and killed himself flying". 🙄

It's a difficult thing the pressures associated with this job. I had the unfortunate experience of going IMC once in a 212. Only by the grace of god did I make it out of that situation without bending any gear. I wasn't long doing my IFR rating following that! After loosing one of my closet friends in the industry this year to an accident involving weather related factors. I felt maybe by posting the ATC audio clip, others may avoid learning the hard way of the dangers surrounding unexpected VFR flight into IMC conditions. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This paragraph is as old as me (86). 

had a customer on a production job say I was OK but then proceeded to tell me about the fastest most talented pilot he ever had doing the job. I asked the customer why isn't that guy flying you now, his response... "well he crashed and killed himself flying".

In questionable weather and haze that you can get in the summer months, you should not be any more than 500 ft. AGL, that will give you an out, to do a quick stop and reverse course. I personally got caught in  that situation and almost flew into a thunderstrom.

Landed, waited and then proceeded. It is a good idea to practice smooth quick stops with out manhandling the A/C.

Donnot at any time take comments or pressure from the company, the client or any passenger with any thing about your flying ability.

Remember, everybody on board is counting on your ability to get were they wish to go, SAFELY.

YOU ARE NOT ONLY THE CAPTAIN,YOU ARE THE BOSS AND DECISION MAKER,COME **** OR HIGH WATER

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, robottxt said:

Door off, crawling along.  How to survive ops managers/CP's heads in the sand and customer demands.

He was legal the whole time. He had 1/8 of a mile to the front 1/8 to the back 1/8 to the left and an 1/8 to the right. Even us pilots know that equals a half mile. He better of had 500 hrs and all that special training they give ya though or to the moon Alice!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheReaper2.0 said:

And this is why pilots die!  because some j3rk off tries to impress the clients flying in cr4p weather, not to mention -2 and wet coastal snow so let’s put the icing factor aside.  Then another pilot comes in and doesn’t wanna fly cuz it’s below weather minimums and some dumb4ss logger tells you “well Jack did it and it was worse, and I’ve probably got more time in this than you!”  Welcome to aviation full of professionalism and backstabbing clowns who will take pay cuts to keep working rather than stand their ground and ask for more money cuz the junk we all put up with. So if anyone knows who this clown is please tell him, hats off to you and congrats for being a f@cking mor0n.

Funny how most of the comments on YouTube insinuate that he has such big balls, yet somehow, he couldn’t find them when dealing with “Ops Manager/C.P. heads in the sand and customer demands”...